How to finish my pool without using TNT and headaches in the future?

anuck

Nov 29, 2023
Antigua
Hello. Looking for some (professional) advice of how to best finish the headache I inherited with the least amount of TNT and save on the future headaches.

The pool was never properly designed and there were already changes at the construction phase like adding the infinity edge and the overflow tank - hence the skimmer leftovers on the sides which I planned to blind. It was done by incompetent contractor (you wouldn't believe what stupid things they have done elsewhere in the house).

I don't want to focus on why things are how they are - just on workable solutions.

The overall pool size is is around 23ft x 32ft x 4ft (infinity edge) - it's around 22000 gal without the steps area

The length of the infinity edge is 26ft and the catch basin is 26ft x 3ft x 1ft - roughly 580 gal.

I'm in the Caribbean and spoke with a few contractors but it's not straightforward and I hear different opinions of how to finish the pool that will lead to the least headaches in the future but is not super expensive. We do get occasional earthquakes.

I also consider to fill it with dirt and convert it to a garden or put a large ground pool and build a deck around it...

The issues I identified so far:
1. There is only single drain at the bottom - possibly a hazard for kids.
2. There is a hole in one of the corners that was done to keep the pool dry from rain water.
3. There are some cracks along the edge of the plaster and I'm pretty sure there was no waterproofing added to the plaster.
4. The infinity edge and catch basin was added at a later stage and the edge is flat. Thus the skimmers can be canceled/blinded (used for some decoration).
5. There is no pipe line for a pool vacuum - although there is a pipe on the inside of the water edge that ends outside of the pool - not super easily accessible but doable while leaning over the catch basin. There will be deck continued to the catch basin.
6. The light niches are not level. I was planning to install cheaper LED lights in there.
7. The stairs are incorrectly plastered on one side and risking someone to kit the edge of the stairs.
8. The infinity edge catch basin is roughly 580 gal. I was told I need another 1000 gal of a balancing tank, which could be added inside the pool (I would sacrifice a part of the pool for that - which is okay if must be done). There are sign of leaks on the outside of the catch basin (green stains). Adding additional tank could mitigate the issue with the hole in the corner and would make possible to add some other features but I'm not sure I'd like to go this way unless it's the best option.
9. I'd like to add a waterfall / spillway on one of the side edges (near the pump room). I was planning to build a small wall and run a pipe there.
10. I was thinking of adding a couple of jets so that an anti-current swim system could be fitted in later (or have a manual one that redirects the pump to the jets on one side).
11. I'd like to have an option to install a heat pump at a later stage.
12. Need to add auto-leveling system.
13. The current level of the infinity edge would make the first step of the stairs out of the water - which is fine by me, even though it's not a conventional solution - I don't really want to make the pool deeper - it's already too deep.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello. Looking for some (professional) advice of how to best finish the headache I inherited with the least amount of TNT and save on the future headaches.

The pool was never properly designed and there were already changes at the construction phase like adding the infinity edge and the overflow tank - hence the skimmer leftovers on the sides which I planned to blind. It was done by incompetent contractor (you wouldn't believe what stupid things they have done elsewhere in the house).

I don't want to focus on why things are how they are - just on workable solutions.

The overall pool size is is around 23ft x 32ft x 4ft (infinity edge) - it's around 22000 gal without the steps area

The length of the infinity edge is 26ft and the catch basin is 26ft x 3ft x 1ft - roughly 580 gal.

I'm in the Caribbean and spoke with a few contractors but it's not straightforward and I hear different opinions of how to finish the pool that will lead to the least headaches in the future but is not super expensive. We do get occasional earthquakes.

I also consider to fill it with dirt and convert it to a garden or put a large ground pool and build a deck around it...

The issues I identified so far:
1. There is only single drain at the bottom - possibly a hazard for kids.
2. There is a hole in one of the corners that was done to keep the pool dry from rain water.
3. There are some cracks along the edge of the plaster and I'm pretty sure there was no waterproofing added to the plaster.
4. The infinity edge and catch basin was added at a later stage and the edge is flat. Thus the skimmers can be canceled/blinded (used for some decoration).
5. There is no pipe line for a pool vacuum - although there is a pipe on the inside of the water edge that ends outside of the pool - not super easily accessible but doable while leaning over the catch basin. There will be deck continued to the catch basin.
6. The light niches are not level. I was planning to install cheaper LED lights in there.
7. The stairs are incorrectly plastered on one side and risking someone to kit the edge of the stairs.
8. The infinity edge catch basin is roughly 580 gal. I was told I need another 1000 gal of a balancing tank, which could be added inside the pool (I would sacrifice a part of the pool for that - which is okay if must be done). There are sign of leaks on the outside of the catch basin (green stains). Adding additional tank could mitigate the issue with the hole in the corner and would make possible to add some other features but I'm not sure I'd like to go this way unless it's the best option.
9. I'd like to add a waterfall / spillway on one of the side edges (near the pump room). I was planning to build a small wall and run a pipe there.
10. I was thinking of adding a couple of jets so that an anti-current swim system could be fitted in later (or have a manual one that redirects the pump to the jets on one side).
11. I'd like to have an option to install a heat pump at a later stage.
12. Need to add auto-leveling system.
13. The current level of the infinity edge would make the first step of the stairs out of the water - which is fine by me, even though it's not a conventional solution - I don't really want to make the pool deeper - it's already too deep.

Here are some photos:
iCloud Photo Sharing

Thanks.
Try posting the photos directly to the forum. Most people won’t click links for fear of virus’s. But I did click it and got an error anyway.

Try posting the photos directly to the forum. Most people won’t click links for fear of virus’s. But I did click it and got an error anyway.
Thanks. Wasn't sure which photo to upload as there are many. The error goes away when you reload the page. Will try uploading directly but it's cumbersome on iPad so need to use a laptop.

Seems like the catch basin being insufficient is the biggest issue. What level are the skimmers set at in the pool?

The single main drain looks to be an 'unblockable' channel drain and should be relatively safe.

Last edited:
Seems like the catch basin being insufficient is the biggest issue. What level are the skimmers set at in the pool?

The single main drain looks to be an 'unblockable' channel drain and should be relatively safe.
Thanks. How big should the catch basin be?

One contractor said I'd need another 1000gal balance tank, which could be placed inside the pool - that was my idea as we could do something like a seating area with an inspection hatch at the patio level (or something like that).

The skimmers would be canceled (blinded), the infinity edge is at 4ft but it would be raised by a couple of inches to add a slight slope (and could be raised even further to cover the first step with water but I don't really want to make the pool any deeper).

I believe balance tank size is a function of pool gallons and bather load.

You can't push the wall of the balance tank farther towards the ocean?

Adding balance tank to the pool, I think that would entail moving the wall of the tank towards the steps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.