Disgusted and Confused on What to Do Next

Well, I didn't mean every 10 to 15 minutes around the clock, just initially to see if the bleach is doing what it should by checking FC shortly after addition. Putting in 3 1/2 gallons of 8.25, and being at 2.5 FC an hour later sounds unusual.

How do you know the bleach is new? Did you check the date code on it? Some stores have been known to sell old/weak bleach. I didn't mean you had done anything wrong in handling the bleach, but we don't know what the people who sold it to you did...

Oh, I see, I checked and the only thing I see on the bottles is "A415165" - not sure if that is the date code or what.

- - - Updated - - -

You really can't do it too often. You just need to give the chlorine time to circulate.

Okay. I am getting ready to put another 2 gallons in and will let circulate for about 15 minutes, then test again.

Mikaklis, how much Ascorbic Acid did you use three weeks ago when you treated for staining? I ask because without a kit or TFP, you may have been flying blind ;)

The advice you're getting here is for a SLAM, and with such low FC you likely need it because early stages of algae outbreak do indeed make water cloudy...but if your report is correct and you lost 18 ppm in an hour yet your pool is blue, I want you to know that its possible the Ascorbic acid is fighting the chlorine. I am hopeful that the sequestrant will hold throughout and you don't get more staining, because slamming does oxidize metals in the water.

I know you said you're not on well, but the fact that you've had to do what sounds like two stain treatments (which worked) suggests to me that you do in fact have metal, despite the pool store report that you don't. The purple flash point in your calcium test also suggests metals.

This situation is a bit tough to diagnose correctly from afar. So please tell us your readings and time between them so we can help out and keep an eye if you need to change direction a bit.

I'd also like to know how much calcium you had in the pool, if any, before you started using the metal sequestrant, and specifically what brand of metal sequestrant you used this season.

Sometimes the two types fight each other (eg if you used hedp an EDTA).

My metal sequestrant, metal magic, will bond with excess calcium and remove it...and the mfg says to in some cases expect cloudy water for a few days as this process is occurring. But that normally last only 2-3 days, not 3 weeks.

At any rate, do keep us posted, and cheers to clear! You are well-positioned to get control of that pool now!

Have your FC numbers gotten up higher than 2.5 on later readings? Up to goal of 20 ppm yet?

No, not up to 20 goal. Questions. I woke up this morning and my FC was again at 1.0. I put in 4 more bottles (484 oz) of bleach this morning. That makes something like 16 or 18 so far and of course, right after I put it in the FC goes up to 6.5 (last night) but seems it keeps going right back down by the time I am ready to dump more in. Should I be testing the FC before or after I put the bleach in (this morning I only tested before I put in, not after? I maybe shouldn't measure right after I put it in? If it doesn't come to 20 right after I put in should I keep pouring more in until it gets to 20? I am off to the store to buy more bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mikaklis, how much Ascorbic Acid did you use three weeks ago when you treated for staining? I ask because without a kit or TFP, you may have been flying blind ;)

The advice you're getting here is for a SLAM, and with such low FC you likely need it because early stages of algae outbreak do indeed make water cloudy...but if your report is correct and you lost 18 ppm in an hour yet your pool is blue, I want you to know that its possible the Ascorbic acid is fighting the chlorine. I am hopeful that the sequestrant will hold throughout and you don't get more staining, because slamming does oxidize metals in the water.

I know you said you're not on well, but the fact that you've had to do what sounds like two stain treatments (which worked) suggests to me that you do in fact have metal, despite the pool store report that you don't. The purple flash point in your calcium test also suggests metals.

This situation is a bit tough to diagnose correctly from afar. So please tell us your readings and time between them so we can help out and keep an eye if you need to change direction a bit.

I'd also like to know how much calcium you had in the pool, if any, before you started using the metal sequestrant, and specifically what brand of metal sequestrant you used this season.

Sometimes the two types fight each other (eg if you used hedp an EDTA).

My metal sequestrant, metal magic, will bond with excess calcium and remove it...and the mfg says to in some cases expect cloudy water for a few days as this process is occurring. But that normally last only 2-3 days, not 3 weeks.

At any rate, do keep us posted, and cheers to clear! You are well-positioned to get control of that pool now!

I only took all the test measurements as soon as I got my TK100 kit in. Haven't taken anything but the FC test since because I thought I should concentrate only on the SLAM process at this time. Do you think I should take all measurements now and post?

No, not up to 20 goal. Questions. I woke up this morning and my FC was again at 1.0. I put in 4 more bottles (484 oz) of bleach this morning. That makes something like 16 or 18 so far and of course, right after I put it in the FC goes up to 6.5 (last night) but seems it keeps going right back down by the time I am ready to dump more in. Should I be testing the FC before or after I put the bleach in (this morning I only tested before I put in, not after? I maybe shouldn't measure right after I put it in? If it doesn't come to 20 right after I put in should I keep pouring more in until it gets to 20? I am off to the store to buy more bleach.
How soon after your bleach addition did you measure the 6.5?

I would certainly consider buying the next batch of bleach somewhere else, if I were you. The date code sounded OK, but it isn't behaving as expected. Where are you getting the bleach?

Can you provide more details about your previous ascorbic acid treatments, as Swampwoman asked?

Sorry, I edited my message to Swampwoman but I guess I did it wrong because it does not look like it posted. Here is what I wrote:

I only took all the test measurements as soon as I got my TK100 kit in. Haven't taken anything but the FC test since because I thought I should concentrate only on the SLAM process at this time. Do you think I should take all measurements now and post? Not sure of what my CH was before putting in the sequestrant. It was "Metal Control" from Leslie's Pool Supply. The sequestrant was something I put in the 3rd time I added absorbic acid because the first 2 times the staining started coming back and I was unaware that I should be putting a sequestrant until someone told me that I needed to; and it did work, because I have not yet gotten any of the staining back so far. And I got my some of my bleach from Walmart, some from Dollar General and a few from Rouse's.

Sorry, I edited my message to Swampwoman but I guess I did it wrong because it does not look like it posted. Here is what I wrote:

I only took all the test measurements as soon as I got my TK100 kit in. Haven't taken anything but the FC test since because I thought I should concentrate only on the SLAM process at this time. Do you think I should take all measurements now and post? Not sure of what my CH was before putting in the sequestrant. It was "Metal Control" from Leslie's Pool Supply. The sequestrant was something I put in the 3rd time I added absorbic acid because the first 2 times the staining started coming back and I was unaware that I should be putting a sequestrant until someone told me that I needed to; and it did work, because I have not yet gotten any of the staining back so far. And I got my some of my bleach from Walmart, some from Dollar General and a few from Rouse's.

The amount of absorbic acid I put in over a period of probably 3 months or more - 1st time 2 lbs., 2nd time 5 lbs., 3rd time 2 lbs. - then the sequestrant.

OK. Here is what is happening this afternoon.

11:30 am put 4 gallons (494 oz) of 8.25% bleach, brushed. At 12:30 measured and FC @ 7.0
2:15 pm put 3 gallons (363 oz) of 8.25% bleach, brushed. At 2:45 measured and FC @ 14.0

Am I now on the right track? I have 9 more bottles of bleach left; should I continue on as I am or put all of them in and measure after about an hour and go get more bleach?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.