Zodiac T5 automatic pool cleaner

Hails

Jun 1, 2018
Cooranbong NSW
So I picked up a zodiac t5 auto pool cleaner on sale, I read online reviews on one website and they rated it highly after receiving it I read another website and it rated poorly. So I've hooked it up the way the instructions said and it gets stuck in corners alot, like this pic and stays there for about 10 mins or so before moving again. I have a weight on the hose and tried the weight at different heights, I've tried the deflector collar, and adjusting the suction levels. It also only cleans the end of the pool where the skimmer is. I'm aware alot of people use the robotic cleaners these days but we cant afford one at this point in time as we have just had our pool installed.

Do I need a different hose than I already have? I've left this hose out of the pool, flat in the sun to try and straighten it out but it still slightly coils up again when it gets in the water.
0677722cbd8122093c89d284e53e6c11.jpg

Hello and Welcome to TFP!

I have the Zodiac Barracuda 1500 which basically looks equivalent to yours. I've run into the same issues with it focusing on the skimmer end and not reaching all the way to the other side as well as it needs to. I believe it is the coiled hose and I see that you tried to remedy that. I don't thing there is much else you can do unless you buy straight pieces of hose. I haven't tried that possible solution yet. Keep us posted if you find a solution.

I have the Zodiac Barracuda 1500 which basically looks equivalent to yours. I've run into the same issues with it focusing on the skimmer end and not reaching all the way to the other side as well as it needs to. I believe it is the coiled hose and I see that you tried to remedy that. I don't thing there is much else you can do unless you buy straight pieces of hose. I haven't tried that possible solution yet. Keep us posted if you find a solution.
Hmm yep I believe it's the coiled hose too, looks like I need to invest in straight hose sections, it also sits down the deep end doing circles alot then just gets stuck in a corner. If I want it to clean the other end I have to drag it up there (defeats the purpose of an automatic pool cleaner lol) but then it just goes straight back to the skimmer box end again.
I'm just going to have to make do for now because I cant spend anymore money on the pool for a bit, just built a brand new home and a pool so need to save $ for a while. If you find a solution I'd appreciate it if you would update me also [emoji6]

So I picked up 10 of the bunnings hi-chlor sectional hose pieces today. I have to say the cleaner goes around the pool way better, doesnt get stuck for near as long as it did before, even climbs the sides with it however the joints in the hose leak everywhere causing the cartridge filter to fill with air and have air bubbles coming out the return into the pool. I was tempted to purchase the zodiac twist and lock hose but I've read about it leaking air as well, now I dont know what to do [emoji848]

I have the T5 and twist and lock hoses ... I just rebuilt the T5 unit all new rubber pieces and diagpham but mine still dose a circle in a small area almost twisting it self up.. never really has worked well had it for 2 years. I think I’m gonna be done with it after just spending 100 on replacement parts.

I have the T5 and twist and lock hoses ... I just rebuilt the T5 unit all new rubber pieces and diagpham but mine still dose a circle in a small area almost twisting it self up.. never really has worked well had it for 2 years. I think I’m gonna be done with it after just spending 100 on replacement parts.
Hmm, I think I'm done with mine, I dont want to spend anymore money on trying to get it to work. I think ill just put it down to a loss and get myself a robot when I can afford it. Very disappointing though, if the product is that rubbish then they shouldn't be on the market anymore. ?

We just purchased a Zodiac T3 with the twist lock hoses for our new pool. What a piece of garbage, it heads straight for a corner and stays there forever.

They're clearly not designed for rectangular pools, but probably work fine in free form pools without corners. Total waste of $400.

Can't really justify a robot for a pool as small as ours, so will stick to manual vacuuming for now.

They seem to be very sensitive to having the right number of length hoses. Have you checked the manufacturers manual to make sure you have exactly followed their recommendations.

Hate to say it but there are so many variables that affect the performance of a suction cleaner. I would look at getting a refund for the Zodiac and if the budget can stretch look at something like a robot. I have a Davey and it has been awesome- so easy to use and much better performance.

yea There are a lot of bad reviews on the T5 out there... mine was thrown in when I built the pool . I was a beginner than had I known I would have went with a robot. I will now for sure.

Did the cleaner come with it’s own hose in 4’ sections? I have an older Barracuda and when I’ve used a regular vacuum hose it could up like that and gets stuck. I think you have to use the section hoses for these suction cleaners to work properly. GOOD LUCK!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a different style suction cleaner, and I heard that keeping the hose pieces straight, and only using the right amount are very important, so I got a hanger to hold the hoses vertically, https://www.amazon.com/HoseHanger-Pro-Accessory-Navigator-Maintenance/dp/B00H8Y4QCE

For the proper amount of hose my instructions said to lay out enough hose to go from the skimmer/vac port, diagonally across the pool to the farthest point. I ended up using 1 less hose than that and not having mine try to go up my stairs.

I would imagine that style of cleaner can get stuck easier in some parts though.

I like my T5 but wouldn't recommend it for a pool with low flow or a low HP single speed pump.
Its aggressive directionality takes a bit more power to run - but rewards with more coverage and climbing.

Powered and adjusted properly its great device - reliably working its way to the shallow end much more frequently than the round sail versions requiring almost no brushing down of shallow end. It can also take decently sized leaves and debris compared to the geared or tracked type cleaner.

The G3 round sail type work better with lower power and better with a solar based pool where you will have a large differences in speed during the daytime - solar open and solar closed.

Uncle Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.