Zodiac MX8

given all the quality issues with the mx8, it's hard to see why people continue to buy them. Looking at the latest reviews on amazon, it doesn't seem like they've addressed their quality issues with the latest design. I've just about decided on the 4-wheel thepoolcleaner.

I have about 12 accounts with the "Poolcleaner" in them. Excellent cleaner - no issues -customers love them & I love them also. The only part it needs the first four years are tires. So the parts are a little more expensive but you go four years without touching the unit (except tires). The 2-wheel version climbs the walls exceptionally well (with the right RPM's) - in fact too well sometimes as it will breech the surface like a whale and make a God awful noise. They do climb the walls - I have seen it. The MX8 is not a bad choice, I just like the PoolCleaner 2 wheel version better. The MX8 in the long run will cost you more - cheaper parts but you will be changing them often.

I prefer the 2 wheel model. I have one working in a 14 foot deep pool that is about 40,000+ gallons (4 years old now). The criteria I use to decide between the two models is where the cleaner attaches. If your skimmer or side port is near the middle and the cleaner will be able to cover the entire pool well - then go with the two wheel version. If you have a skimmer say in the deep end and the cleaner needs to travel 34 ft to reach the shallow end go with the 4-wheel model. Depth of pool isn't a factor that I have run into. I like the two wheel version as it is better mechanically and climbs the walls better. Plus you have two less tires to change which saves you money in the long run. I only have one 4-wheel model on my route.

90% have canisters hooked up. Most have the Hayward W560 Standard Leaf Canister. Those with more fine particle debris I use the Pentair Leaf trap as it has a fine mesh bag that works great. One note on the MX8 -those new style hoses make a canister connection tricky. If you go with the MX8 let me know and I can give you instructions on how to make it work. Not a fan of the Zodiac locking new style hoses. You can't hook up a vacuum head to them either to spot vacuum your pool. The universal hoses the every other cleaner uses are much better.

I have been following this thread for a while now, & am inclined to choose the MX8 over The Pool Cleaner, if I go for a suction-side cleaner at all. I am satisfied with my Polaris 380 ( and was ok with the 180 & 280 as well, dating from 1984 ). I re-plumbed my equipment pad for both types, and will continue to use the 380 during "big leaf seasons". Both popular suction cleaners can probably handle my neighbor's Liquidamber leaves in the fall, but definately not my Monkey-Puzzle "leaves" ( 14" to 18" long, 1-1/5" in diameter and prickley ). The stuff tha falls year-round into the pool, is 1,000's of Atlas Cedar needles ( 1-1/4" ) & Monterey PIne needles ( twin needles 12" to 15" long ). Any MX8 owners have any experience with these year-round varieties?

The MX-8 is not a bad cleaner it is just that "The Pool Cleaner" is better. Like buying a BMW 325 over a Honda Accord better. The parts in The Pool Cleaner are very long lasting and the engineering is amazing. It will travel about 12 ft and then rotate itself so it never gets stuck in any corners. It also can pick up large acorn debris where the MX-8 is lacking in that area (a pile of leaves can clog it up). Some people have had problems with the MX-8 gears also. The new style hoses leaves a lot to be desired. They make hooking up a vacuum head and a leaf canister pretty much impossible (although I have a good trick for the leaf canister). The new style hoses are also very fragile. Bottom line - The Pool Cleaner is better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.