Zero entry sunshelf

Dapdo

Bronze Supporter
Jul 15, 2018
Vineland, NJ
Has anybody done this or heard of this? Putting together ideas for our new pool build. Dont have the room to do a full zero entry. I have a 19 mos old and two dogs who don't like to swim but enjoy playing in water. Was thinking about making the sun shelf 0 entry for the toddler and dogs. Assuming a depth of 10 inches what's a good slope and final width for said sunshelf?

I say ditch the zero entry sloped section and just use that extra area for a larger Sun shelf. Your toddler will be 2 years old or older before the pool is done and maneuvering down one step to the shelf will be a non issue. Same goes for most dogs. We installed bubblers and umbrella tube in our Sun shelf which worked out great since the toddlers and young children spent a lot of time on the shelf. At two years old my daughter wanted help getting in the pool which I did not mind, since she will never be in the pool without a parent at thAt age.

I agree if you don't have the room skip the 0 entry. It is a great concept (we wanted it too) but does use a lot of space. We went 18" water depth for our large sunshelf and couldn't be happier.

We have 2 sun shelves which are 10” and 12” deep. Our youngest was 2 1/2 when we got the pool a year ago. At 3 1/2 she swims all over the pool...point is they learn fast! They still love taking toys to the sun shelf and sitting in the water but mostly it’s jumping and swimming.

Pics of my "sunshelf" are on page 2. Trying to build an independent sunshelf takes up room, and in a vinyl pool, can be particularly challenging. Gunite not so much. I decided to incorporate a sunshelf into my steps. Top step is normal, and the second "step" is 44" wide. Water will be about 15" deep, which is absolutely perfect for one of those $20 colorful plastic adirondack chairs from Lowes/HD. Sit in the water in your chair, put your drink on the arm. It is also a great depth for small children and medium/larger dogs. I tend to think it will also be a great depth for older kids to make a running leap into the shallow end trying to catch a ball or whatever. Keep in mind these are my thoughts, and there are only about a zillion pool designs and different ways to do things, but for our yard and family, I think it will work well.

DIY (mostly) inground vinyl 16x36 - Page 2

They have fixes for everything...

plastic-bottle.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Below is a link to a good example of a doggie beach entry for short-legged dogs. Enlarge the pictures on post #140 for a better view. Sunbaby may have pictures of the finished entry to the sun shelf on later pages. Check out her build thread.

I agree that the kiddos don't need that kind of an entry, but I understand that the furry squatty bodies would be safer with one.

For variety sake, I have a 6" sun shelf and I get a lot of use out of it. I can do yoga on it and sit in one those plastic Adirondack chairs without getting my clothes wet. Sometimes I just have enough time to soak my feet! There are also many times it seems to stretch out my season. The water is too cool/cold to get all wet, but refreshing for just the feet.

New Pool Build - Conroe, TX - LOTS of pics! Come say hi Y'all. - Page 7

We have two separate shelves one is 9 inches with no step and the second is 17 inches with a step. I would agree on the 0 entry taking up space. We considered it but it took up more baja shelf space and am glad now that we have it finished. Toddler will be fine with the step in. We have a 90 pound dog and 9 inches works great for her the 17 inches is a bit much. Remember you will have to account for your the space between water and edge when considering the step down

Has anybody done this or heard of this? Putting together ideas for our new pool build. Dont have the room to do a full zero entry. I have a 19 mos old and two dogs who don't like to swim but enjoy playing in water. Was thinking about making the sun shelf 0 entry for the toddler and dogs. Assuming a depth of 10 inches what's a good slope and final width for said sunshelf?
We are currently doing this, and is great. Our pool builder has one at his house. Zero entry to 18 inches, where it stops, and steps to 3 feet. They are currently digging this week. Steel and plumbing next. Will post pics in my build.

Here is a pic: zero entry sunshelf to the right side of picture. There will be a swim down to 3 feet, tapering to 3.5 feet. The side closest to us where the spa will be there is a oval step down.

Attachments

• pool profile 1.jpg
    pool profile 1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 77
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.