Your build: What would you do differently?

So far no regrets but it’s only been done a month. We opted not to do a spa as we didn’t think it would get used. We did not do a heater either; we are in south jersey and the water hit 80 this week. We dropped some decent coin on thermal bluestone treads which I like, but, right now am wondering if I should’ve done concrete. I think I’ll be happier about this choice in a few years when there are no cracks in it! Our pool is 18x42, sometimes wonder if it is TOO big but maybe once we have people over I’ll feel differently. Also we did not do any decking. Putting sod in up to the bluestone; will see how this plays out.

Best things:
1. Adding a Chiller to my pool. I’m not swimming in a hot tub in the summer in HOUSTON
2. Getting the SWG : I’d rather take my chainsaw to my left arm than not have this.
3. Travertine decking. Doesn’t get hot even in 100 Dev weather and definitely gives the wow factor in my opinion
5. Going with the Wet Edge Primera Stone. Looks like pebble smooth like plaster.
6. Having a swim lane
7. Automation. Can it get any easier??

Hmm...that's hard to say...I'm kind of somewhat in a valley and when the Santa Ana winds kick up, it seems to be coming from all directions. I really have no idea.
Get the extra skimmer. It is a no brainer. I can get the surface of my pool clean in 30 minutes with heavy debris blown in when I crank my variable speed pump up. The $700 will be money very well spent. Only takes 30 seconds to clean a skimmer.

Last edited:
Pay more attention to plumbing and equipment. They in large part determine how easy or hard your pool is going to be to use and maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any advice on plumbing and equipment? Started excavation two days ago and PB said pluming is coming very soon. We haven't discussed anything about plumbing so I'm not even sure what to 'watch out for' or 'ask for'.

Any advice on plumbing and equipment? Started excavation two days ago and PB said pluming is coming very soon. We haven't discussed anything about plumbing so I'm not even sure what to 'watch out for' or 'ask for'.

Have 2.5" plumbing from your main drain, skimmers, and spa drains to the pump. I had 2.5" from the main drains to the end of the pool which was then reduced to 2". Dont do it. You will have way more options for bigger pumps in the future with 2.5" piping and your pump will not have to work as hard. Think about if you want to add anything else to your house near the pool equipment such as a standby generator or another AC unit. My pad is oversized to fit all of the above. Id rather pay a little more up front than have to pay for it later on and have things not match and look like afterthoughts.

Things I wish I did.
1. Another pool light so that our tanning ledge is not in the dark at night.
2. Automation. I have the pump automated now but wish my SWG and Pressure side cleaner were automated also instead of on the manual timer
3. One more return
4. Automatic overflow drainage

Things I am glad I did thanks to the TFP forums
1. Have the water features on a separate pump that I can turn on and off with a switch
2. Light at my equipment pad
3. Installing a SWG and one that is twice the size of my pool capacity, it's actually 3 times the size.
4. Cartridge Filter
5. MOST IMPORTANT - knowing what questions to ask the many pool builders we interviewed thanks to this site!
Cartridge filter over sand or DE? I keep seeing mixed reviews.....

Things I wish I did I did:
Either cantilevered concrete or stone coping (stuck with white aluminum)
18x32 instead of 16x32
Umbrella sleeves in deck

Things I'm glad I did:
Pool builder let me do some work to save money
4" Downspout drain plumbing under deck to rear of yard, and backwash line under concrete from equipment pad
Did deck jets myself, in yard just outside of deck (ran extra plumbing lines under decking just in case I needed them)
Extra electrical conduit from equipment pad under deck to both sides of pool deck just in case
Dark colored liner
3 returns
SWG
White plastic steps instead of liner over steps
I am on the fence on coping.... I hear the concrete is scratchy and snags bathing suits. What do you not like about the aluminum? Also- Why plastic steps instead of liner over steps... I had just decided to do the liner over steps since it looks a little cleaner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am on the fence on coping.... I hear the concrete is scratchy and snags bathing suits. What do you not like about the aluminum? Also- Why plastic steps instead of liner over steps... I had just decided to do the liner over steps since it looks a little cleaner.
I just think the stone or concrete coping looks a little more "finished". Just personal opinion I suppose, not that there is anything functionally wrong with the aluminum at all. Also, my carpet pads shifted over the winter and the winter safety cover straps wore the finish off the aluminum so I had to touch that up already.
The plastic steps are easier to see the step location in low light, they were cheaper, and it made my liner significantly cheaper as well. I went with corner steps inside the pool perimeter.

Reactions: ash_leigh
Read too much about how big pools are too expensive. Stuff and nonsense. Got 20 x 40, wish I'd gone 25 x 45, my shallow end is much larger than deep end, wish that was reversed. Wish I had a true deep end, its 6.5 should have gone 9. Needless to say me and 4 year old grand LOVE the deep end.

Def wish I'd had a different pool builder. Several design decisions were somehow "forgotten" till too late to resolve. He did offer to throw in some things I didnt care to have, firepit anyone? Pool was not acid washed properly and despite agreeing to come look at it, he never came back. Its mottled, by doesnt make swimming any less fun. Deck cracked in 2 places the night it was poured!!

But he did finish it on time, reading some stories on here, I feel lucky overall?

For me- DEEPER!! Diving board deep :)

I have the diving board and want a deep diving board, 1m or 3m with a depth of 14 ft or whatever is safe at those heights.

I went with the larger 20X40 rectangle. It was huge the first few years but like a big screen TV it became normal size after a while. I went up 4 ft on both sides as the upgrade for $500. In theory i could have went 4 more feet, 24X44 for another $500. I had 22 kids in my pool last night and they had a surprisingly good amount of space each, but it was still tight at times.

I love all the non traditional shapes out there. At some friends houses the custom design or kidney oasis makes it feel like a resort. But we wanted full out swimming every inch avaiable. Big Rear rectangle. Not nearly as pretty but nobody at the blowout BBQ last night noticed.

IMG_1275.jpg
Our pool was completed in the beginning of April 2019. While the water was to cold to swim and had to wait for the plaster to cure, we would sit out by the pool in the evenings and realized that we should have installed lighting for the waterfall, duh. :( While it's not the end of the world, it certainly would have added a nice bit of ambiance to the night time experience. Any ideas on retrofitting lighting?

Dapdo, I have grass up to the coping around 80% of my pool and love it. It's much easier to convert to pavers/concrete, etc than it is to go from stone to grass so definitely worth trying for a couple of seasons.
Also we did not do any decking. Putting sod in up to the bluestone; will see how this plays out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.