Yet another Texan with freeze problems

zz28zz

Mar 26, 2018
Austin, Tx
Damage found so far:
Screw-on lid for filter pump broken
Distribution valve (1 yr old) cracked
Lower portion of large DE filter housing with 12" long crack (20 yrs old)
Water gushing from water mainfold on Jandy LXI 400,000 heater (1 yr old)

Got a pro coming out in 3 days to give estimate.

In the mean time, I have another pump for the water fall feature that has it's own plumbing. Verified it's OK (it was prev drained). In regards to maintaining water quality, should I run the water fall pump all day to keep water moving? I can add acid and chlorine (powered shock) manually to keep chems balanced, but there's no filter. Not really expecting any parts to show up for a while. Don't want to drain ~30K gal inground gunite pool unless I have to since we are on a low capacity well.

Sounds like you will need a new pump, filter, and maybe heater.

Running your waterfall a few hours a day will keep the water from getting stagnant. I would not run it all day. Maybe three times a day for 30 minutes should be plenty and not raise your pH too much from the aeration.

Adding liquid chlorine will be better then powdered shock which will raise your CH.

No reason to drain your pool.

Currently using GLB SuperSonic Fast Disolving. 73% Calcium Hypochorite, 27% "other ingredients".

Water from well is very hard so I'm already getting a lot of calcium. Usually have to add a gal of acid every week anyway.

Last edited:
Currently using GLB SuperSonic Fast Disolving. 73% Calcium Hypochorite, 27% "other ingredients".

Water from well is very hard so I'm already getting a lot of calcium. Usually have to add a gal of acid every week anyway.

Yup, that is cal-hypo and will further raise your calcium. Better if you use liquid chlorine.

How many gallons in your pool.

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment. It will let us give more specifc comments as we discuss your pool.

~30k gallons

For every 16oz of 73% cal-hype you will raise your FC by 3 ppm, CH by 2 ppm and salt by 3 ppm.

What is your current CH test?

What test kit do you use?

Care to share a complete set of pool test results in the format below?

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Taylor 5136 kit (a couple of years old)
FC= 0 ppm
CC=0 ppm
PH= 8+
TA= 200 ppm
CH= 300 ppm
CYA= 85

Typically during the winter, I'll just add acid when it starts looking cloudy. It's been a few weeks since I've added any tabs as you can see by the FC/CC,

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.