Yet another, Test Kits in Canada Thread

U2brothr

May 19, 2020
Toronto, ON
Oh yes... another thread for all us Canadians! Long winded post here.

After spending a lot of time reading how important it is to test your own water (no test strips....and not pool store testing), I decided it was time to get myself a test kit. This is my third summer owning the pool. I wanna be my own boss. I want to know what is going on with my pool! By myself!!

I also spent a lot of time reading how difficult it is to get a Taylor test kit to Canada without using the company who has the official licence to bring them into Canada. Newegg and Walmart ship these kits.... but the waiting and shipping fees add ups to huge amounts (344.88CDN or more)

IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME.... I'M ALWAYS UP FOR A CHALLENGE!

So here's what I did. I found the cheapest Taylor K-2006C kit online.

Waterline technologies had a kit for = $107.79 which included free shipping anywhere to the states.

Then I looked for a shipping company and who would be the cheapest to ship the item to Canada.

The kit was bought online in California.

I signed up for MyUS.com - I didn't sign up for a membership. I asked to do a one time shipment.

MyUS.com is in Florida. So upon check out on waterline technologies, I gave my delivery address as the one which would identify me on MyUS.com.

The packaged arrived in Florida and then I got worried. I started to read the "MyUs not for export USA list" which included:

-Lab reagents, biologics, cultures, medical specimens
-Oxidizing agents

SO NOW I WAS WORRIED. YIKES!

Some important things happened at this point.
-My email from MyUS dropped the kit value from 107USD to 57.99 (I think that helped with duty)
-They identified the export as Chemicals (Dangerous goods)
-Fed Ex was chosen as the shipper (instead of USPS or DHL or
-Shipping for this item was $62.48 USD.... and they subtracted $20 USD because of Covid delays - a small bonus - $42.48 USD

The next email I received was:

This commodity requires special handling, packaging and labeling. Additional fees will apply. Please feel free to contact customer service if you need further assistance.

QuantityDescriptionExport DescriptionSchedule BValue
1 PCSTaylor K2006 Complete Swimming Pool Water Test Kit For Chlorine, PH, AlkalinityChemical Products And Preparations Of The Chemical Or Allied Industries, Nesoi3824.99.927057.99 USD
Totals:57.99 USD

So now it is shipping to Canada with the shipping cost of $42.28 USD

Fed Ex called me and said I had to pay $22.05 CDN. Which which was the duty.

The package had papers that said "Shipper's Declaration for Dangerous Goods"
So to recap.

Kit $149.63 CDN (107.79USD)
MYUS Shipping - $59.20 CDN (42.48 USD)
Duty $22.05 CDN
= 230.88CDN

Still way over priced and expensive. But $100 CDN cheaper than Canadian Wallmart/ Canadian Newegg.

I do my first test tomorrow morning.
My wife thinks I'm crazy!

Last edited:
What a hassle but glad u have a kit ! I wonder about replacement reagents though. I also wonder if you could have bought it or a tf-100 through tftestkits.net & done the same thing? Although I don’t quite understand international shipping but I would imagine they would be very understanding about using the shipper service. I am intrigued 🧐

Oooooooof that stinks. Sorry Brother.
What a hassle but glad u have a kit ! I wonder about replacement reagents though. I also wonder if you could have bought it or a tf-100 through tftestkits.net & done the same thing? Although I don’t quite understand international shipping but I would imagine they would be very understanding about using the shipper service. I am intrigued 🧐

Well, the tides have changed to good fortune. I phoned them (and emailed) and explained their mistake.....(hard to stay positive when you feel gutted).

Anywhoo, they are going to ship me the K-2006C kit using their own shipping of "dangerous goods" to Canada.....AND I CAN KEEP THE OLD ONE!

YAHOOO!!

I was Just unsure of how that really works & also wanted to have another verified mailing resource to help others with. As I know for an absolute fact that tftestkits has a fresh supply of what most people need so if it can be coupled with the mailer service u used that’s definitely a plus to know there’s some options 👍🏻

Reactions: U2brothr
Hey everyone,

Just a heads up I got my kit shipped and delivered, taxes and duties in, for $252CAD (no sales tax was charged) from here:

Got it and it was the K-2006C as expected, came with some bubble wrap inside so the reagents didn't spill anywhere and the reagents are good until mid 2022.

Glad they're shipping you the 2006C u2Brothr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for that. TFP is certainly unaware of any change in their warranty policy but the evidence is pretty obvious.

I have contacted Taylor and should have a meaningful answer in 24 hours and I will publish it in this thread.

Just had a nice email exchange with Taylor. Some vary a little but most of their reagents have a 2 year shelf life.....expiring with the date stamped on the bottle. I didn't know that.
Look at this link and you can see where I was confused. They suggest a one year replacement but will abide by the date printed on the bottle. We have always known the shelf life was pretty good so I hope this info helps......it certainly helps me.

I'm 45 mins from the US/Canada border @ Buffalo NY. Back in the olden days (pre-COVID) I'd I typically order from Leslie's Pool Supply in Buffalo NY. They'd call me to pick up and I'd drive down and get it, along with some Don Peppinos Pizza Sauce!

The last time I purchased it was $59 ($80) for a K-2006. Now that's up to $10 and $169 ($228 CDN)

I'm low on R-0871 and just ordered 2oz for $53.33 CDN via Amazon. Ugh.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.