Yet another green pool - now getting "blue"

Re: Yet another green pool - now milky gray

Adding bleach once per day is almost certainly making thing go too slowly - the algae is probably getting a chance to start growing back before the next addition. In light of that, considering the way your water looks, I would think your FC is back to 0 every time you go to add more chlorine.

baudilus said:
Adding bleach once per day is almost certainly making thing go too slowly - the algae is probably getting a chance to start growing back before the next addition. In light of that, considering the way your water looks, I would think your FC is back to 0 every time you go to add more chlorine.

To be honest, I thought we were making good progress, considering it was a swamp on Tuesday morning. By Wednesday evening it was milky gray. But what do I know...I've never battled a swamp before.

So, it sounds like your suggestion based on the current water condition to add chlorine a couple of times a day? Maybe mid morning and then again in the evening? without a test kit it's hard to tell so I'm guessing and I will continue to gladly accept recommendations.

By the way, I just checked the TF-100 order on FedEx and it's in my home state!!! Yeah....maybe it'll come today.

frustratedpoolmom said:
1.42 gallons=182 ounces - 6% raises the FC by 3 in your pool, according to the "effects of adding chemicals" section at the bottom of the pool calculator...

Oh, I see the problem, you are looking at my signature for pool volume......This is not my pool, it's my father in-laws pool which is 19,000 gallons. So 1.42 gallons raises FC by 4.6. That's why I was getting 13 and you were getting 9.

Update for this morning...........

My FIL just called and said he can see the bottom of the shallow end and the water actually looks blue for the first time. Still can't see the bottom of the deep end. So it seems to continue to be making progress.

I instructed him to add (3) 1.42 jugs of 6% and keep brushing (raise FC by 14). I also told him to backwash a lot as that will serve 2 purposes.
1) reduce CYA
2) clear the sand.

At this rate it might be clear by the weekend.

JasonLion said:
Looking good! :goodjob:

Thanks for all the support from people like you and the rest of this forum! While I felt like I had an idea of what to do based on reading "Pool School", reading other posts and getting confirmation for the process clearly helped me to tackle this.

You guys are awesome and I've learned so much in just 3-4 days. :cheers:

Bama Rambler said:
Whoohoo, way to do a long distance clearing. Before long you'll be walking people through a cleanup in a far away land. :-D

thanks......actually you folks (people in this forum) do the long distance support all the time!!! By the way, he only lives 8 miles from me, but it's still a pain to not "be right there" monitoring the situation. I wish I had taken a picture of the swamp, but for sure, I'll take a picture on the clear pool and post it. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

I realize the battle is not over yet until I get this thing crystal clear and then get the CYA reduced (to hopefully help prevent further attacks). The biggest battle will be to get him to change from pucks to bleach

Thanks again to people like you and this place......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Latest update from this morning from my FIL.....

Deep end bottom is visible :whoot:

water still a bit cloudy but blue.

Added another (3) 1.42G jugs of bleach this morning.

Best news yet is that my TF-100 kit arrived last night and I'll be heading over to my FILs to get some real measurements on his pool after I practiced on mine last night.

This is good stuff!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.