Yet another first-timer with no clue what he's doing...

You are fine for now. I bet the PH pushes up some. You might want to look at the CH and the heater. I THINK I remember something about Ch and heaters. Please do a search and learn then teach me LOL.

Leave bleach for someone to add some each day to keep you going. You know how much your pool is "eating" each day so go from there. BUT with you having a SWG you may be good to go with it working.

Kim:cat:

Thanks, I'll look into the heater bit. It doesn't actually work at the moment (that's troubleshooting for an advanced thread later!), but is still plumbed in, so just need to not do anything that will eat it, no concern about actually creating heat with it for now.

I'll bring it back up this afternoon, and do my shopping while I'm gone so I can try and do a full test and balance before I disappear again. Will aim for SWG, but like I said, not sure whether it will work, so will have bleach on hand. With luck, I won't be in here next Sunday starting SLAM again :)

Made it home for the interim stop over. FC of 5.5, 0 CC. Decided to just go for it. Ph needed to go up, added borax. 1200 salt, added 14 bags. 60 cya, had 2 lbs of stabilizer, added that. Everything else was in the range I needed. Salt cell looks flaky ( went to high salt/amps, assume because got heavy salt dose all at once. In the am, instant was 3500, average up to 2400. Assume it's a time thing and will catch up. Salt cell would then start though, so maybe. Have someone to check it and add bleach if needed. Will check again Sunday and dial things in more. Probably need new swg but will see how this goes, don't want to order early and waste warranty time.

How is salt as a predictor of pool volume? still trying to dial in my exact pool volume (or thereabout) so I can keep things up correctly, and I'm glad I didn't put in all the salt I thought I should. was at 1200, put in 14 out of 16 bags, and wound up at about 3500. Playing with the calculator, means I should have a 30k gal pool basically.

Just not sure salt is a good indicator or not.

Also, probably still due to me not taking the filter apart yet, but how often should I have to vacuum? solid stuff has stopped falling, but still getting decent pollen. After 2-3 days, starting to see junk at bottom of pool, although still crystal clear. Doing FC/CC tests, getting a 0 CC so not fighting anything, just seeing stuff. Putting that down to slight amounts of pollen/organics plus slight bit of sand, does that track?

Have the robot, so tossing him in a couple times of week is fine, just want to make sure I'm not seeing it on that frequency when if things were really working right, I'd only have to do it every week or two.

(all assumes no one actually using the pool yet)

I could vacuum every day where I am at due to stuff in the pool. I tend to just wait until the weekend and let Wanda do it for me. I do not like her to run when we are not around. The hose popped off one time and if I had not been home the pump would have gone dry :(

Use FC for the pool size. At night when the sun is DOWN test your water for FC. Use Pool Math to see what it should take for what you THINK your gals are to push the FC up 3 ppm. Add that much with the pump running for about 30 mins and retest and see what the FC did. Adjust the gal size each day until you are spot on with it doing what it should do for the new size you put in.

Kim:cat:

Bumping this one, as I've got something new to ask about. First off, things have gone great (knock on wood). After getting the automation fixed, found the SWG worked great, running it 50% in 2 4-hour blocks a day and it's kept pace nicely. CHemicals have stayed nice and in range all season, and it's become as easy to deal with as I could have hoped for. Had to lower PH once or twice, add some water once a week when really hot, and otherwise totally on autopilot! So thanks all for that!

That said, question:

I've got a vinyl lined IG pool, and seems like liner over fiberglass steps (that's what it feels like, reading up that at least seems like a real option). No picture at the moment, but basically at the top step, it doesn't seem fully seated into the corner. In other words, while the step is still fully covered, right before you get to the wall (to go up to the coping), it isn't firmly attached to the wall. So there's a little bit of liner (really the length of the step) that's not really secured to the wall or the inside corner of the first step from the top. Does that make sense? Feels like there's some sort of bar or angle that was supposed to (or used to) clip into that area, but may be imagining things. Is that normal, or would there be a (non-horrific) way to fix it, or should I learn to love it and just be careful that I don't poke a hole in that part of the liner? Not really an issue except when the water is on the low side, but I make sure to keep it up so that more water is pressing it towards the wall.

Thoughts? I'll try to get a pic at some point, but think it's going to be hard to show. Basically if you picture the letter "L", the liner is just rounding the inside corner a bit rather than any attachment hard in the corner...

If you think about it a sharp corner will be almost impossible to cover with vinyl as it does not conform too well. On pool walls they add a cove of sorts to keep the wall from having a sharp angle for that very reason.

I say use care and be very aware of it and keep an eye on it.

:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.