(yet another) first time pool owner in need of advice

Jeetyet said:
Don't forget to check and brush/clean any hidden areas if you have any. Under/behind ladders, behind any lights in a niche, etc.
Thanks Jeetyet, I saw that in some other threads so have been trying to brush every nook and cranny I can find, which isn't too many as I don't have any ladders, just one light in the pool and one in the spa, the jets, and then skimmer area.

This morning there were some "piles" of dead algae in a few spots on the bottom, so I had the vacuum in all day. That stuff's all gone, water is looking pretty clean, but still cloudy. I just rinsed out my filter and have the main drain and skimmer going strong again, so i'm hoping it starts to clear now. Still keeping FC at shock level (actually a little above that). I think i'm getting pretty close!

Well...my pool is looking beautiful!

My water is crystal clear, my CC is 0 and I passed the OCLT (didn't lose any at all as far as I could tell) for 2 nights in a row.

I am now just waiting for my FC level to drop down (my target is 5, according to the chart) and I will retest everything and see where I really am.

I want to give a big THANK YOU to all who helped me get to this point.

PatsFan said:
I am now just waiting for my FC level to drop down (my target is 5, according to the chart) and I will retest everything and see where I really am.
At 60 ppm cya your minimum is 5 ppm, target is 7 ppm (unless your cya is closer to 70 then it is 8 ppm FC target)...don't let it drop below 5!

linen said:
PatsFan said:
At 60 ppm cya your minimum is 5 ppm, target is 7 ppm (unless your cya is closer to 70 then it is 8 ppm FC target)...don't let it drop below 5!
You are correct, I was reading the minimum. I will target 8ppm. It's currently still around 20, so it's all good.

I will take a pic when I get home!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jeetyet said:
Looking really really good, but, keep that pump and filter running. I kindof have a feelin' that "you ain't seen nuttin' yet." :mrgreen:
You don't think the algae is gone? I passed all 3 tests for the SLAM process.

The pictures don't do it justice, it is amazingly clear right now. :cheers:

You passed the 3 tests, and the water is clear, so the algae is dead. What Jeetyet means is that most people who haven't used the BBB methods before have a different idea of "amazingly clear". Your pool is clear, but keep the levels where they need to be and in a couple of weeks your water will be polished to a point you may have to touch it to be sure it's there :p

Donldson said:
You passed the 3 tests, and the water is clear, so the algae is dead. What Jeetyet means is that most people who haven't used the BBB methods before have a different idea of "amazingly clear". Your pool is clear, but keep the levels where they need to be and in a couple of weeks your water will be polished to a point you may have to touch it to be sure it's there :p
Ahhh, well if this can get any clearer that would be TRULY amazing. I'm so glad I found this forum, everyone has been incredibly helpful and friendly, I really appreciate it!

PatsFan said:
Jeetyet said:
Looking really really good, but, keep that pump and filter running. I kindof have a feelin' that "you ain't seen nuttin' yet." :mrgreen:

When I saw your pictures, I too thought that your water was still a little cloudy, but it must be the reflection or something.

Nice job on getting it clean :goodjob:

linen said:
PatsFan said:
Jeetyet said:

When I saw your pictures, I too thought that your water was still a little cloudy, but it must be the reflection or something.

Nice job on getting it clean :goodjob:
Just the pic...at least that's what I think. It's hard to picture it any clearer than it is right now!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.