Yellow/Mustard Algae?

discgolfdc

Jul 22, 2018
Fairfield, Ohio
Hi.

First, let me start off by saying that I'm currently out-and-about for work, but when I get home later on this evening, I will come back and provide a full test result in this thread. I know that's important. I also know that some of my testing will necessarily be off in current circumstances.

This is my 2nd year owning my pool. I test weekly, but am learning that I probably need to do that more often. Also need to more closely monitor my FC, especially since my pool doesn't get much shade, if any, and I don't use a solar cover. Last week, I started seeing the dreaded haze in the pool. It wasn't "OMG" haze, but it was just enough for me to recognize that I needed to mobilize and commence SLAM to turn back the tide, and so I did. The 0.0 FC reading clinched it :(.

Now, please don't ask me how in the heck I managed to get the Pool Math app to display this -- I do enter my test results in the app when I obtain them -- but when I clicked on the FC tab on the app, based on my most recent results, I could have sworn (again, not sure how, based on what I'm now seeing all over, elsewhere) that it said that my target SLAM FC was 28 ppm. With a 13,500 gal AG pool with a CYA level at 40, all the other sources are now showing me that my FC levels are kinda out-of-this-world. I was going on the information that I was sure I'd gotten from the app up until today, which is when I learned ("TIL") that my FC level for SLAM should be around 16 ppm. I'm planning on letting that level come back down to appropriate shock levels, unless feedback here challenges that thinking.

As a momentary aside, my CC currently tests at 0, and my water is now otherwise visibly crystal clear. My pH was at a good 7.4-7.5 before beginning this, andmy understanding is that there is zero sense in testing for that at this specific time.

Despite brushing the heck out of the pool very thoroughly and methodically as well as maintaining these insane-oid FC levels (last night, when I added my NaClO, it peaked at 32 ppm, and by this morning it was 26 ppm), I'm still seeing this yellowish stuff that's clumping in small aggregates on the floor of my pool. Quite by misinformation (not blaming the app -- I probably hit something that made the FC target show 28, like recording my CYA at 140 or something stupid like that, I don't know), I've been holding my FC levels in the upper 20's - lower 30 ppm range pretty consistently, and it's still there. I am not sure if I'm dealing with Terminator T-1000 type algae or what. If 16 ppm is the appropriate shock level for what I believe is yellow algae, I'd think that the Crud should vaporize on contact between 26-32 o_O. Since beginning SLAM, I haven't let it go below 17-19 ppm...and I thought that was low, considering I thought my darn target was 28.

It's just weird that, after I brush the heck out of the pool, I look back the following morning and scratch my head, wondering how I could have possibly missed those spots. Then I recognize that I didn't miss them. It's new. And, when I brush/vacuum them, they do kinda disappear into a "poof."

Again, I'll post a full test panel later when I get home, but I wanted to start the discussion here. I've seen other threads about yellow algae here on the forum, but I don't think I'd seen anything that quite spoke to the presence of this algae in super-superchlorinated situations.

Of course, I want it gone, but I'm baffled by why, if it is in fact yellow algae (I don't think it's pollen), this is surviving in this insanely hostile environment.

Thanks a lot!

Okay, maybe I wasn't seeing things. Is this app not telling me that target FC is 28 ppm????

Why does it say that with a CYA of 40, when the FC/CYA chart says more like 16? Is this a problem with the app, or is there something else I'm simply not aware of here?

Thanks.

Algae is a hardy creature. It develops bio film to ward off attach. So you must brush, vac, etc multiple times with SLAM level FC. And maintain that FC until you pass the three criteria.

Is your last test result entered as 70 ppm CYA? Do you have a test results entered into Poolmath? If you share your data, we can see what you have entered.

Here are my test results from 8:40 PM tonight.

FC: 17.0 ppm
CC: 0.0 ppm
pH: 7.5 (ostensibly unreliable, but plausible)
TA: 70
CH: 200
CYA: 40 ppm
Temp: 82.5°F
CSI: -0.38

Also, here are some photos of the offending masses...the last image is there to give perspective as to the scope of things. It's definitely not a lot, but they seem to crop up in just about the same place each time.

112478 112479

112480 20190725_201652 (Custom).jpg

Also, still ... what's with the Pool Math app telling me that, with my CYA at 40 ppm, the SLAM target FC is 28 ppm???

If the FC/CYA chart (below) is showing me that, by rights, it should be 16 ppm, either the chart is wrong or the app is wrong.

Or there's something else amiss.

This is the "home" screen on the app off of which the SLAM FC target is being based, apparently (it's just the test results I just entered, copied above). I've also just never ticked the Filter Cleaning box, which is why the reminder is there. It was cleaned a couple of weeks ago. Imagining I'll have to do again or replace here after this little fun trip through SLAMville.

I'm mainly including this to show that the app is basing my SLAM target FC on a CYA of 40 ppm, which defies the above chart.

So... your CYA is set to 40 everywhere but when you toggle the SLAM slider it shows 28? I just checked mine and it is indeed only showing 16 when I toggle the slider. Hopefully someone else will see this. Maybe start a new thread with Pool Math in the subject so it gets noticed. Your app issues can be separate from your algae issues.

:bump:

Can you post a screenshot where app is telling you incorrect SLAM target?
Sorry, I was out of the country for some time.

I sent these screenshots to the PoolMath email address, but haven't seen anything back yet. Here they are, nonetheless.

Please disregard the maintenance warning on my screen. I had simply not entered the maintenance performed by that time.

The first image is the "overview," and the second is the one that shows my SLAM "target" in the "FC" section.

Screenshot_20190725-210308.jpg

Screenshot_20190725-205839.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's now showing correctly at SLAM target 10 ppm @ CYA 10 ppm (I'm adding).

Is there something about not ticking off those "reminders" that alters the target SLAM FC? I ask because I admittedly forget at times to log my maintenance in the app despite having done it. I mainly put in test results. As I was preparing to answer your question, I checked the SLAM FC target for a current CYA of 10 and it read 28 just like my original screen captures. I did have a "filter cleaning overdue by 5 days" reminder that I hadn't ticked as done, so after I did, the SLAM FC target now reads normal.

I don't know if somehow having an outstanding reminder showing in the app causes those numbers to be skewed somehow.

Thanks again.

I didn't know if that was a bug or by design. I have another thread going, per your suggestion. I don't know who actually does the dev work on that. I can't imagine that it's a design thing, though. A pool would have to be nearly sewage for a standard SLAM target to be 28 ppm, no?

I didn't know if that was a bug or by design. I have another thread going, per your suggestion. I don't know who actually does the dev work on that. I can't imagine that it's a design thing, though. A pool would have to be nearly sewage for a standard SLAM target to be 28 ppm, no?

Actually, all a pool would need to have is 60ppm CYA to have a SLAM level of 28.

Well, I'm definitely not there, and I'm currently running conditioner into my pool through my unused chlorinator to raise my level from approximately 10ppm. I'll check in the AM to see how much has actually dissolved. If not satisfactory, I'll start putting the squeeze on it.

It does say "Your target is out of suggested range" in the screenshot you provided. Could it be possible you somehow manually set your target to 28 (like maybe previously, or when playing around to look at how much you would need IF-type scenarios)? If it's possible then the app may have just saved that and is continuing to show you results based on that input rather than the actual suggestion. I don't actually know for sure if manually setting the target is even possible because I have very limited interaction with the app. It also could be that that warning shows anytime the target is outside of the 3.0-7.0 range that is listed above the input boxes, so that would make my theory null and void, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.