Year round pool Michigan

Dalyons

Jun 24, 2023
Michigan
Hi!

Close to pulling the trigger on a new build. Looking at two options Thursday sea turtle which is 20x10 4300 gallons Second option Soake pre cast concrete pool 13x7 3200 gallons.

My goal is a year round solution that can be cool in the summer and hot in the winter.

Planning to have an auto cover plus enclose equipment to try to keep above freezing in the winter plus insulate the pvc pipes in the ground. 250k btu heater for both options fyi.

I have had a few pool builder tell me I am
Nuts to try this and I struggle spending 6 figure money if I can’t have at least the option to run 12 months if I decide. Others say it’s possible and you need to pay attention and have backup in case of power loss.

Thoughts?

Welcome to TFP
Undoubtably it will take much attention to the details to survive your winter. Can you provide your average temperatures for your area during the winter months? You plan to fully enclose your pool equipment and will you possibly have it climate controlled? Will you lay any pipes below the permafrost for your area? Good Luck and I am sure others will chime in. Interesting project.

Welcome to TFP
Undoubtably it will take much attention to the details to survive your winter. Can you provide your average temperatures for your area during the winter months? You plan to fully enclose your pool equipment and will you possibly have it climate controlled? Will you lay any pipes below the permafrost for your area? Good Luck and I am sure others will chime in. Interesting project.
Thanks for reply!

30s and 20s are typical. Not often below 0 and plenty of days in the 40s.

Not an easy way to heat the shed. I was thinking of insulating really well and putting a temp sensor inside. Wild run pump constant if it was near freezing.

Pipes would be 3.5 feet down.

Reactions: HermanTX
Welcome to TFP
Any opinions on fiberglass vs concrete from thermal standpoint. Seems like Fibeglass would be warmer per say.

Get a 400K BTU heater. You will need the BTU's.

What brand equipment are you planning?

Check what the heater manufacturer says about operating the heater at or below freezing temperatures.

Any opinions on fiberglass vs concrete from thermal standpoint. Seems like Fibeglass would be warmer per say.

I doubt it makes a material difference.

You will spend a lot on electric and gas in the winter just keeping the pool from freezing even if you don't use the pool.

I suggest you close your pool for the winter and install a standalone hot tub to use in the winter. Long term it will be much more economical and not risk winter damage to your pool and equipment.

The Hayward H-Series Heater manual - https://www.hayward-pool.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/UHS-Manual-Rev-C.pdf - says:

WINTERIZATION:
In moderate climates, the heater can continue to operate during short-term cold spells. Do not use the heater to maintain the water temperature just above freezing or for freeze protection. Care must be taken to avoid freeze-up in the heater. When it is used during freezing weather, the pump must run continuously. The heater is not warranted against freeze-ups. In regions where freezing temperatures are encountered, all water must be drained from the heater when it is out of service to prevent damage to the heater and piping. Draining the heat exchanger is recommended as part of the season’s shutdown procedures.
NOTICE: A heater damaged by freezing is not covered under the manufacturer warranty.

You will spend a lot on electric and gas in the winter just keeping the pool from freezing even if you don't use the pool.

I suggest you close your pool for the winter and install a standalone hot tub to use in the winter. Long term it will be much more economical and not risk winter damage to your pool and equipment.

The Hayward H-Series Heater manual - https://www.hayward-pool.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/UHS-Manual-Rev-C.pdf - says:

WINTERIZATION:
In moderate climates, the heater can continue to operate during short-term cold spells. Do not use the heater to maintain the water temperature just above freezing or for freeze protection. Care must be taken to avoid freeze-up in the heater. When it is used during freezing weather, the pump must run continuously. The heater is not warranted against freeze-ups. In regions where freezing temperatures are encountered, all water must be drained from the heater when it is out of service to prevent damage to the heater and piping. Draining the heat exchanger is recommended as part of the season’s shutdown procedures.
NOTICE: A heater damaged by freezing is not covered under the manufacturer warranty.
Thanks for your input

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get a 400K BTU heater. You will need the BTU's.

What brand equipment are you planning?

Check what the heater manufacturer says about operating the heater at or below freezing temperatures.

I doubt it makes a material difference.
Thanks for link. Looks like minimum 70 degree water temp during winter is required to help with heater life over long term.

Thanks for link. Looks like minimum 70 degree water temp during winter is required to help with heater life over long term.
That is correct to prevent the accumulation of corrosive condensation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.