Ye Old Pool light.. what can I replace it with

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
Hi All
So I am looking to replace my old halogen pool and spa lights. This is the light from the spa. I believe the pool one is the same. The pool was built in the late 80's/early 90's and the lights are of the same vintage. I can find no information on the light to tell me what it is. I disassembled the housing and there is nothing inside either.. other than the halogen bulb, some goopy residue from the leak and a disintegrating gasket. Given the age I am sure the housing and wire interface are no longer water tight. I don't even want to put it back in the pool while I figure out a replacement. The dimensions of the niche are about 5 in diameter and 5 inches deep.

What I want to do is put a new housing in this niche with a more typical incandescent type socket so I can put an LED bulb in it, as I have heard others do. I'm not interested in the fancy multicolored LED light shows that ready made LED units provide. Can anyone tell me what kind of enclosure that will work with an incandescent bulb socket will fit in this niche ?

Thanks
20190621_172706.jpg20190621_172711.jpg20190621_172758.jpg20190621_173647.jpg20190621_174204.jpg

Last edited:
So upon further inspection.. I pulled both the pool and spa light fixtures out of the niches and got them all dried out. To test if the enclosures were still leaking I gave them the "Bucket Test". I submersed the back end of the fixture in a bucket of water and watched to see if they filled with water from a leak or blew the GFI when I turned them on... nada! Even after several hours. And my Volt meter shows a nice even voltage. So I'm left to conclude they are good and just need new lens gaskets and bulbs!.. much cheaper than replacing the whole mess!
20190624_175847[1].jpg
I'll leave the LED option for later when the prices drop some more. I don't think I could find a halogen equivalent LED bulb with the same Lumen output that would fit in this smaller enclosure anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.