Wrinkles in Shallow End Liner

Jul 9, 2015
Pittsford, NY
I drained my pool a bit lower than usual closing it last year. Down to the return jets just to be safe. It was my first time closing it on my own and I was paranoid of water in the lines. Probably wasn’t necessary to lower it that much.
Fast forward to me opening this year, the shallow end of the liner has several large wrinkles in it. I wasn’t aware, but a search showed that this can be caused by the liner contracting due to low water level. Oops.
What can I do about it? The liner is about 12 years old, so I don’t want to do anything crazy and risk a large leak. I’ll probably plan on replacing it next year anyways.
With the water level now back to normal, can I expect the extra pressure from the water to smooth out the wrinkles? Is there anything else I can do?

I highly doubt lowering the water just below the return jets caused this, my bet is it was a combination of surface water plus liner age. You can try to lower the water to 12” depth in the shallow end and using a plunger try to kick those wrinkles over to the side.

If the liner was newer i would slip a hose down and suck the ground water from behind your liner, but i would not try that now. Problem was caused by ground water having more pressure then the low water in the pool. Now that you have filled and once the ground water level drops to summer depth you "might" get lucky and the liner drops back down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.