Wow!! An $11,000 Intex (type) Pool build...what were we thinking?!

Yeah, the heat pump would be the way to go. My buddy heats his 30' for less than $60 a month.

We live approx. 180 miles West of Winnipeg. We did live in Wpg for 10 years tho. We used a solar blanket/ small solar heater last couple of summers on our 15' round Intex (with the blow up top ring) and found it never reached a temp higher than 75 degrees, and only after several days of sunshine and intense heat. We vowed that if we were going to invest in a larger pool and a project of this scale, it was going to be heated at whatever cost. Our pool temps aren't without great cost to us. Our first month to heat and circulate (in the month of June) was probably close to 400.00 (both running 24 hrs per day). We did go with a cheaper initial investment by choosing the electric pool heater, but if and when we take the plunge to move to a more permanent pool, we would be willing to look at the cost of an electric heat pump down the road.

Thank you yachnutz. We are pretty proud of how it all came together, despite the embarrassing amount of money we poured into the project LOL Looking forward to an even longer season enjoying the pool this year now that we have all of the work completed. We just have the last of the steel fence around the perimeter of the retaining wall to install :)

Awesome looking project. I've good luck with our intex pool. This will be our 4th season with it and so far no signs of deterioration. I would like to go with one of the rectangular pools at some point and sink it like you did.

Hey folks- any current pictures of your pool? Your photobucket pictures are all from last June?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your wish is my command cfclay. Pics from last season (about 170 pics total) have been added to photobucket (of our first season with the pool including the build). I haven't added any from this year as of yet. It doesn't look near as inviting this season tho (haven't yet purchased the plants to adorn the deck, have to get the pool noodles up on the frame of the pool, and of course the back corner of our yard still looks like a mudhole). I cant wait to get the wood fence up along the creek, so we can get our new flower beds dug and planted, our new sod laid, and our fire pit area built. I will likely post a couple pics of our steel fence going up this year, which in itself will probably take as long as the entire build last year, at the rate we are going lol. Thanks for your interest in the pics, enjoy!!

Our "Backyard Oasis" 2014

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did your post ever mention how much your pool itself was? Intex makes some big pools for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironically the pool itself only retails this year for approx. $899 CAD plus tax on sale (we paid $949 CAD plus tax). This specific model is actually a Bestway brand. The Canadian retailer we purchased it from last spring now offers the exact same style and size, at the same sale price, but is now branded as a "Coleman" pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.