Would you think about no cya?

Jul 14, 2017
Chicago IL
This is my third season with my pool. I have a fabrico sundome and I only use bleach and acid in my pool. I keep my target FC at 2.5. I use about 8 ounces of bleach a day. The water is always clean and the chlorine seems like it doesn’t burn from the sun. Most time I can skip a day of bleach and fc is still at 1. I am reluctant to use CYA just because everything is going so well. What do you guys think.

A pool with 1 ppm of FC and no CYA is more harsh than a pool following the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] I would much rather swim in a pool with 30 CYA and 10 FC than a pool with no CYA and 0.5 FC.

Just curious, what does your pool smell like?

It smells like nothing. Its like a Caribbean vacation in the dome. I’ve never had a smell, algae problem or cloudiness. I have a bag of cya I bought last year because I know about the harshness of chlorine, but I can’t pull the trigger. I’ve read almost every post on this site the past 3 years and I contribute my success to this site. Just now I tested and fc was 1. last time I add chlorine was Sunday morning to fc 2.5.

So just err on the high side for the FC ... it would still be much less harsh than a pool with 0 CYA.
In fact, even the FC at shock level for your CYA is less harsh than a FC of 1ppm with 0 CYA.

I'm glad to hear no smell. One thing CYA does is slow the production of the nastier chloromines, which for an enclosed pool can be a major problem.

If everything is fine and you are 100% happy then you don't have to change a thing, it is your pool after all. But I personally wouldn't run a pool with zero CYA, indoor or outdoor.

Well, I suppose you would get even less complaining ?!?!?! :mrgreen:

If you are happy, they don't worry about it.
If you want to give it a try, perhaps the water will feel even better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kelly because I do barely anything to keep my pool clear. I don’t even have to test it. I know how much acid and chlorine to put in with out testing. I do test because it fun for me though. If I added cya then every opening I would have to do it again since I lower to close. My fc when I opened was 3.5 perfectly clear add water put dome on and it’s done. I don’t even have to vacuum.

I’m glad you do test... I wouldn’t get in a pool that I couldn’t be sure was safe. Or let my family in either.

Are you saying you have to lower CYA to close, or lower water? If you are talking about lowering CYA, why? Granted I don’t have to close, but still, not sure why you’d have to lower CYA.

At any rate, it’s your pool, so do what you feel is best?

No one has said anything about the OPs method being unsafe. Their water is safe if there is FC in it.

We would typically think it may feel harsh, but there is no indicatation that they have observed that so there is really no need for them to change anything.

Adding CYA in this situation may make the water feel better, but there is no requirement to do so.

To clarify, I wasn’t saying the lack of CYA makes a pool unsafe. I was saying that lack of testing to be sure of proper chlorine levels would make me feel wary about the water, hence being glad he does test.

Sorry for any confusion!

I would be lowering the water. I tested a lot everyday that’s how I know what to put in with out testing it’s always the same amounts to easy having a pool I guess�� thanks you all for giving your opinions

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t take offense to people opinions. I appreciate it. I was just hoping Dave (site owner) would respond, I love when he gets right to the point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.