Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We need to raise the CH level.

Was looking at the local pool store, 25# bucket was > $220.

Found this on-line: HARRIS Swift "Polar Melt" Melt Calcium Chloride Snow and Ice Melter, 15lb. It's calcium chloride pellets. $38
Less than 1/2 the price of the pool store option.

See any downside to using the Harris product?

I don't like ice melt, period. :) Some are fine, some aren't, some are harmless and mostly salt needing 3x as much, and the manufacturer has zero pool concerns when they change anything. They may or may not be upfront on the label when they do.

I like Puritech, usually for $2 a lb. It's a happy medium of the cheaper ice melts and stupid spendy designer stuff at the pool store. I also routinely find they are the best deal for CYA.

@CC57

I see your PoolMath logs are linked to your forum account but there aren't any current test results.
What is your pool water current CH level?
What is the CH of your fill water?

We need to raise the CH level.

Was looking at the local pool store, 25# bucket was > $220.

Found this on-line: HARRIS Swift "Polar Melt" Melt Calcium Chloride Snow and Ice Melter, 15lb. It's calcium chloride pellets. $38
Less than 1/2 the price of the pool store option.

See any downside to using the Harris product?
Try another pool store. That’s an outrageous price for calcium. Can get it on Amazon for way cheaper at $47 and with free shipping it’s even cheaper than the ice melt.

I have used 2 x 40 pounds of Bare Ground Calcium Fake Pool Treatment over a 3-year period. No issues. CH level increase exactly matched PoolMath. Tractor Supply had the best deal last time purchased, which was a month ago. $50 with delivery. Was back-ordered a week, but then arrived in perfect shape.

Bare Ground also has a cheaper version in pellet form sold as ice melt, available at Home Depot. But the spec sheet says "60-100%" calcium chloride; the exact fraction is withheld as a trade secret." I asked their rep some years ago and she said it was actually very close to 100% and safe to use in pools, just takes longer to dissolve (the flakes disappear in 5 minutes even in 40F water). So I did try one box of it and had zero issues. Again PoolMath predictions were accurate. Still, at this point I'll pay the extra $15 for peace of mind.

Yeah I'm not sure how the pool store folks sleep at night. I certainly don't begrudge anyone their living, but some of the prices take your breath away.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.