Would a check valve keep my pump strainer from emptying back to the pool?

ride525

Gold Supporter
Jun 17, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I have my pool pump about 30 feet away from the pool skimmer.

Everytime I take off the cover for the pump strainer basket, the pump drains back into the pool. I installed a check valve could I prevent this? Would the best place for the check valve be right before the intake into the pump strainer?

Thanks for your help,

Jeff

How far above the water level is the pump? Why do you care if it drains down? The pump should self prime without issue.

Yes a check valve could help, although will add headloss. Or you could just add a shutoff valve.

How far above the water level is the pump? Why do you care if it drains down? The pump should self prime without issue.

Yes a check valve could help, although will add headloss. Or you could just add a shutoff valve.

Pump is just a foot or so above waterline. Shutoff valve sounds like a better idea!
But first maybe I just need a longer Prime Time. Maybe try that

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jeff

Here is what the manual says:
A well plumbed
pool without having the strainer removed should prime in less than 30 seconds. If
the strainer has been removed for cleaning and a substantial amount of air is in
the system it should prime in about 60 to 90 seconds on the average, however, all
systems will be different.

I set it to 3 minutes, and it primed! Bingo, solved with a longer prime time. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.