Twin Cities MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Now that we have cooler nights, we start getting worms in the pool. They are small black worms, about 2 inches long (not earthworms). We have a cover and they all come into the pool at the end of the cover where the cover closes and there is a small gap, very small, between where the pool wall meets the cover when it closes.

I'm sure that the worms must be attracted by the warmer air above the water and then end up in the pool. This happens only in the spring and fall when we have cooler nights.

My question is, has anyone found a way to prevent the "migration" of these creepy crawlies?

Nope, autocover here too, just our robot to remove them. In the spring there are hundreds for Earl to remove.

Had a worm issue after any hard rain, ours were earthworms. Found some info about sprinkling crushed limestone around the outside of the pool deck and it works like magic. Crushed limestone is about $5 a bag at Lowes/Home Depot and you will need to put more down after a while but it really works.

I may spread some crushed limestone around the deck perimeter this fall after closing just out of curiosity to see if there are noticeably fewer earthworms next spring. The science is that it increases the pH of the soil and deters worms from surfacing there. Which is great because it doesn't kill them, just recommends they go in a different direction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.