Wood deck around Inground pool

Lamlas

Jun 20, 2020
North Carolina
Hi
I am putting in an Inground pool, 14x28. My yard slopes away from the pool. We were lucky to squeeze in the pool without a wall. The pool builder suggested a deck off the side of the pool where it slopes. I have been googling and have not seen many examples. Does anyone here have pictures with an Inground pool? We have 4 feet of cement and then will have a drop. Above ground pool decks are giving me lots of ideas.
thanks!

Attachments

• A3C82BDE-EFAB-497F-A7EB-A0FCD5499992.jpeg
    A3C82BDE-EFAB-497F-A7EB-A0FCD5499992.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 42
Hi
I am putting in an Inground pool, 14x28. My yard slopes away from the pool. We were lucky to squeeze in the pool without a wall. The pool builder suggested a deck off the side of the pool where it slopes. I have been googling and have not seen many examples. Does anyone here have pictures with an Inground pool? We have 4 feet of cement and then will have a drop. Above ground pool decks are giving me lots of ideas.
thanks!
I don't really have an answer but just a question. Is your pool lined in concrete or sand bottom and vinyl. Because I have a somewhat similar issue with my pool near the woods and groundhogs have ruined my "slope" that was contained in a small retaining wall and have undermined the concrete decking. Some of my issues are directly caused thru deferred maintenance by previous homeowners. I just saw that dirt and treeline and had to ask.

Late on this one, but here's my 20-year-old wooden deck (replaced a similar, but less elaborate, one from 1985). House is on the side of a hill and the pool is in the FRONT yard (it was here before I was, and before any area zoning laws). Pool equipment, including 2 large propane tanks for heating, is in a fenced-in area (no roof) lower down (below the hedge at the top of the picture). Pool fence is low (grandfathered -- I will have to put in a "legal" fence if I totally replace the deck). Since they stopped making high-VOC stains I now have to restain the horizontal surfaces annually (I don't sand, just remove any loose stain, and use a roller on a stick, which saves my back). 5 gallons this year took care of both the pool deck and the upper deck on the house (there are patio stones under that deck), and 2 sets of steps. If I were doing it again, I would look into a tinted water seal instead of stain. I also have to replace at least a dozen deck boards every year due to rot (much of the decking was poorly pressure-treated when they changed over from the arsenic-based stuff). I have the time (retired), and composite wood would be much more expensive.

Attachments

• deckdji2.png
    deckdji2.png
    988.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude
Late on this one, but here's my 20-year-old wooden deck (replaced a similar, but less elaborate, one from 1985). House is on the side of a hill and the pool is in the FRONT yard (it was here before I was, and before any area zoning laws). Pool equipment, including 2 large propane tanks for heating, is in a fenced-in area (no roof) lower down (below the hedge at the top of the picture). Pool fence is low (grandfathered -- I will have to put in a "legal" fence if I totally replace the deck). Since they stopped making high-VOC stains I now have to restain the horizontal surfaces annually (I don't sand, just remove any loose stain, and use a roller on a stick, which saves my back). 5 gallons this year took care of both the pool deck and the upper deck on the house (there are patio stones under that deck), and 2 sets of steps. If I were doing it again, I would look into a tinted water seal instead of stain. I also have to replace at least a dozen deck boards every year due to rot (much of the decking was poorly pressure-treated when they changed over from the arsenic-based stuff). I have the time (retired), and composite wood would be much more expensive.
Wow...I enlarged your picture and that is a lot of wood!! Looks good!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.