Wiring Pentair Whisperflo 115 Volt 2 Speed Pump

Dec 31, 2016
Lakeport, CA
Hello, I have a Whisperflo 115 volt 2 speed pump I need help
with the wiring.
Basically here is how it's setup. I have a Intermatic timer which
turns the pump on and off. The wiring to and leaving the timer are correct.
Next I have a simple 3 position toggle switch to control the speeds.
Left or right is high and low. Middle is off. Or to be more clear, the
pump doesn't run when in that position.
Next is the pump it self.
It has the usual three wiring hookups. #1 is for the power
# 2 is for high speed. 3 or 4 are for low speed.
I'm replacing the same pump with a new one. This pool and pump
are in Mexico, at our vacation home and while we were away, the pump
need to be repaired. That didn't go well, hence the new pump. When the pump was removed for
repair, some of the wring was remove also. Otherwise I could just copy what was there.
What I need help with is, from the timer to the toggle and then to the pump.
And yes, I have the factory 2 position toggle end plate I could use, but I'd rather
go with the separate toggle setup.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. If anyone needs pictures, I can supply them.
Lori robin

Coming out of the timer should be a black (power) wire and a white (neutral) wire. Connect one wire (black or white) to the 1 terminal. Connect the other wire to the in terminal of the three way switch. Connect a wire from one of the out terminals of the threeway switch to the 2 terminal and connect a wire from the other out terminal to the 3 terminal.

I'd like to thank JamesW and Kiss4aFrog for their help. I've been real busy the last few days
and haven't gotten around to wiring it up yet but the instructions see clear and don't think
I'll have any issues. IF I do, I'll be back.
Thanks again,
Lori robin

I'm going to need some further advice and how to get his pump wired.
I'm going to have to use the supplied toggle switch that came with the motor, rather than
the one I wanted to use.
There are just two positions on the new switch. Hi and low speed.
I'll include a picture of the toggle switch.
So,what I have to two wires coming out of the timer.
On the toggle switch I have three wires,
Yellow goes to number 2 and the white to 3 or 4.
I need some advice from this point on. I know there is a schematic on the pump
but it's a little vague for me. Thanks, Lorirobin
IMG_4346.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, seems i have two of the same photos
Lori robin

Attachments

• IMG_4346.jpg
    IMG_4346.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 56

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From the timer, connect one wire to terminal 1 and the other wire to the black wire going to the center terminal of the switch. Yellow goes to number 2 and the white to 3 or 4.

Assuming that the pump is on a 20 amp breaker, #14 awg wire should be good(copper, not aluminum)

Also, make sure that the supply voltage matches the label.

From the timer, connect one wire to terminal 1 and the other wire to the black wire going to the center terminal of the switch. Yellow goes to number 2 and the white to 3 or 4.

Assuming that the pump is on a 20 amp breaker, #14 awg wire should be good(copper, not aluminum)

Also, make sure that the supply voltage matches the label.

As an FYI,
We don't generally switch the neutral wire. That should be connected directly to the pump and the hot wire ran to the toggle.
Also this pump at its rating should be on a 20a breaker and should be fed with #12 wire.

As an FYI,
We don't generally switch the neutral wire. That should be connected directly to the pump and the hot wire ran to the toggle.
Also this pump at its rating should be on a 20a breaker and should be fed with #12 wire.
I agree if the power is being turned on and off. However, you're just selecting which set of windings are being used.

The label doesn't specify that one way or the other matters. Even if it's preferred, I don't think that it's worth changing it if it's already done.

Why is #14 wire too small? 20 amps is allowed on #14 wire. If we assume a short run from the timer to the pump (maximum of 10 feet), the voltage drop should be ok as long as the wire from the breaker to the timer is sized correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.