Wiring an SWCG w/a VSP

KandTFromPhx

Gold Supporter
May 31, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
So, I know I posted this wiring diagram in another post. At the point in time it was just a concept. Now that I've implemented it I'd like to share my experience. I really like the way it works. Your mileage may vary!

What this setup allows me to do is control my salt water generator and pump using the same timer.....they can never get out of sync (the clock may not be correct if it loses power, but the SWCG will not run unless the pump is running....this is critical in my opinion). The current settings have the pump running about 8 1/2 hours a day and the SWCG set at 100% (so it runs 8 1/2 hours also).

If I decide I need more chlorine I simply add pump run time. If I just need more pump run time I can increase the pump run time and decrease the SWCG output percentage. If I need an extra blast of chlorine (like after a storm or party) I just throw the tripper on the intermatic and wala, more chlorine and pump time.

What I really like about this setup is I can bring on the pump anytime I want to with out the SWCG coming on. For instance, if I come home from lunch and want to do some testing. I set the timer for 60 minutes, do my test after 30, add my chemicals if needed and go back to work. The pump runs until the time expires and all is good in my world.

K,

If I understand your circuit correctly, your 4 hour timers allows you to run the pump without the SWCG.. In normal operation, the Intermatic timer turns on the SWCG and closes a relay that sends 12 Volts to the pump telling it to turn on..

I know nothing about your particular pump, but my guess it that allows you to run your VS pump at one speed.. Is this true?

Looks like a good plan to me... The Pentair SuperFlo VS has the same basic set up which allows you to use 4 relays. Each relay selects a different pump speed.

Thanks for posting the diagram,

Jim R.

Jim,

You are correct in your circuit analysis and yes, in this configuration it will always run at one speed.

However, I did make a modification to the circuit that I failed to show in the drawing. The Pureline Pump has 4 digital inputs (sounds similar to yours).

During normal operation, triggered by the Intermatic, the pump runs at a low RPM (digital input 1)

I wired the 4 hour timer to a different input so that
when I want to do maintenance such as vacuuming or testing I can easily bring the pump on (or override the lower RPM input -
digital input 4
) to bring the pump to full speed. I.E. Digital Input 4 has priority over the other inputs so when I use the 4 hour timer it will always run the pump at 3450 RPM. Works for me!

The below drawing is indicative of that change. Thanks for reminding me!

I had considered adding a 3 speed switch allowing me to take advantage of the additional inputs, but at this point I think that would have been a waste of time. Full speed for maintenance and whatever speed is need to circulate the water during generation is all I really need.

-Ken

Last edited:
What is the component that show 220v input with a 12 v output

Dave,

The component is a relay and it does not really do what you are thinking.. When you apply 240 volts to the coil connections the relay will energize or turn on. This closes the normally open set of contacts inside the relay. The 12 volts is coming from the pump, through the relay contacts and back to the pump. When the pump sees the 12 volt input it will turn on and run a some set speed determined by the programming inside the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.