Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hello all,

I live in Raleigh, NC. We rarely get extended periods with temperatures below 32 degrees. I have freeze protection running on my inground pool, and it has worked great the last five winters leaving my pool open year-round.

My question is about a waterfall that is off the main plumbing and has a shut-off valve. I leave it shut off in the winter, and my thought is likely most of the water that would accumulate in the piping would be underground since water would be directed down (due to gravity) and not at the pool's water levels.

I prefer not to blow out the lines as I do not have the equipment to do so and would have to call out the dreaded pool company to do so. It also seems like a waste to have freeze protect run the pump through the waterfall as I would have to run the freeze protect at a higher flow to get water flowing through all the plumbing (since the waterfall does not have its own pump).

So my thinking, as it was last year when I chose not to blow out the waterfall line, is that the risk is pretty low that the waterfall plumbing itself will freeze if I keep its valve closed.

Any thoughts?

Seems like your plan has worked well in the past, so probably no need to go through new extreme measures. I agree your biggest concerns would be at the surface level, so protecting any areas that might accumulate water is a good idea. Not sure if you have access to the waterfall outlet where water comes out, but if you do you could try to vacuum some of the water near the surface and/or pour a little RV antifreeze in there. Don't forget the potential for rain to accumulate in/around waterfall rocks and crevices which can later expand and disturb grouts and seals. Sometimes covering with a tarp might help.

Seems like your plan has worked well in the past, so probably no need to go through new extreme measures. I agree your biggest concerns would be at the surface level, so protecting any areas that might accumulate water is a good idea. Not sure if you have access to the waterfall outlet where water comes out, but if you do you could try to vacuum some of the water near the surface and/or pour a little RV antifreeze in there. Don't forget the potential for rain to accumulate in/around waterfall rocks and crevices which can later expand and disturb grouts and seals. Sometimes covering with a tarp might help.
I think the anti-freeze and tarp are great ideas. When I get the RV anti-freeze, how much would you pour into the outlet? Does it have any effect on pool chemistry, water safety ?

how much would you pour into the outlet? Does it have any effect on pool chemistry, water safety ?
That would depend on how much water (if any) you can remove and/or access to that waterfall outlet area, but it's used frequently the time up north for long term protection. In your case as an example, let's say the plumbing stub out to the waterfall goes about 4 feet down below. If you are able to pull some water out of it, you might only need to add a few pints. It won't have any negative impact on your chemistry since we're assuming your water feature will remain off during the cold months and you'll leave it off until temps are consistently above freezing. Once freezing weather is no longer a concern, you'll purge the line and get the waterfall running again. At that point the antifreeze will assimilate into the pool's body of water and be consumed. No worries.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.