Winterizing in Tucson with cover

Jul 13, 2016
Tucson, AZ
I live in Tucson, AZ with an 18' round above ground pool and sand filter. Water temp is currently 49. We get several days below freezing, probably about 10 per winter. I want to cover my pool and not run the filter. Just want to make sure there are no problems with that in my climate. I have lowered my water below my outlets, vacuumed everything crystal clear and have my water chem perfect. No algaecide. Have always followed TFP with bleach and use borates at about 40. Everything else is in balance. Plan to keep ph at 7.5 and chlorine at 4 - no filtration.

Averages
Jan/Feb Hi 69 Low 42
March/Apr Hi 80 Low 51

There should be no issues with what you have done. Those occasional winter weather systems that drop-down on your area are few and not long-lived. The only concern might be residual moisture in the pump and/or filter - basically anything exposed. You don't want moisture freeze/expansion in those. So just make sure the drain plugs are removed and perhaps cover those items with a tarp or something on those odd freeze events to be safe. If you have a thru-wall skimmer, make sure it's not full of water either which it shouldn't be if you lowered the water level anyways.

I am not worried about the freezing. I am more concerned that with our warm climate will I have issues with covering the pool and not running the pump.
If the water temp remain below 60 you should be okay. Many in your area leave the pool operational and just reduce run times, etc. But since you already made closing preparations, you can just leave it off as long as the water is cold. As soon as water temps approach 60, start running the system again to stay on top of the chemicals to avoid alage.

It’s easier to run a pool all year here and it avoids algae. You only need to run the filter fir about 2 hours per day and then chlorinate as needed. My SWG doesn’t work with cold water so I use bleach additions in the winter (Dec-Mar). I literally use maybe 2 gallons of liquid chlorine all winter ...

If you cover the pool and don’t keep it properly chlorinated, there’s a greater chance of getting a green swamp pool. Keep a careful watch of the water temp and when it is consistently at or above 60F, you’ll need to SLAM the pool and open it.

It’s easier to run a pool all year here and it avoids algae. You only need to run the filter fir about 2 hours per day and then chlorinate as needed. My SWG doesn’t work with cold water so I use bleach additions in the winter (Dec-Mar). I literally use maybe 2 gallons of liquid chlorine all winter ...

If you cover the pool and don’t keep it properly chlorinated, there’s a greater chance of getting a green swamp pool. Keep a careful watch of the water temp and when it is consistently at or above 60F, you’ll need to SLAM the pool and open it.

Great, that is what I was hoping. It is worth it to me to not have to do chemicals, vacuum and filtering. So easy to cover.

It is worth it to me to not have to do chemicals, vacuum and filtering. So easy to cover.
It's very common for pools in areas like ours to remain open year-round. The cooler water and less evaporation makes chemical treatment much simpler. Chlorine isn't needed nearly as often (maybe once or twice a week), and since water doesn't need to be added as much, other levels stay more consistent. You may need to to scoop leaves or something out occasionally, but maintenance is much less. Pump run time can also be reduced significantly, so if you chose to fill it backup and just keep it operational it's much easier. But it's totally up to you.

It's very common for pools in areas like ours to remain open year-round. The cooler water and less evaporation makes chemical treatment much simpler. Chlorine isn't needed nearly as often (maybe once or twice a week), and since water doesn't need to be added as much, other levels stay more consistent. You may need to to scoop leaves or something out occasionally, but maintenance is much less. Pump run time can also be reduced significantly, so if you chose to fill it backup and just keep it operational it's much easier. But it's totally up to you.

My timer is built into the pump and does not work and I have no kreepy so it is more work for me. Once those are fixed, perhaps I will leave it open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.