Winterizing full tile pool/spa

darinclifton

Jun 2, 2019
St. Louis
So I have done some searching and have not really come across this subject direcly. We are working on a pool design and seriously considering doing full tile. Before you jump over board I have a lot of tile experience, my last project we set over 1000sf of tile, it fun you should try it. We are talking to our tile manufactures but though I would ask here to. Does anyone have experience with full tile pools in cold weather climates and proceedures for winterizing the pool and or spa with full tile? Thanks in advance!

There was a gentleman from Sweden a few years back trying to do an all tile pool. He completed it but kept having tiles pop off so he took it all out to start over with a different mastic. He stopped posting after that so I don't know if he ever completed the project.

I have no experience other than swimming in them in tropical locations. I think there would be never ending issues after a while due to winterizing. Any crack in the grout would allow water in and could pop tiles off. That's likely why you dont see them in freeze country

Following this thread. I also live in a cold climate and am half considering full-tile for my gunite pool remodel. Re-plastering in my area is super expensive - $15k-25k+ for my 20x40 pool - and I have a really good GC that I have had do many other projects on my house. He's always up for a challenge and it really doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.