Winterizing Differences from TFP Recommendations

NYAVGUY

Jul 14, 2014
New York
The thread linked in this post is closed to further comments so I am starting a new one.

I mostly follow the TFP recommendations with the following modifications:

I balance the chemicals and put the mesh cover on in late September/Early october before the leaves start falling. Since water is still above 65, I don't winterize the equipment and plumbing and let it run for 2-3 hours per day with mesh cover on. Once water temp gets below 60 I get the Chlorine up to about 10 and then do my winterizing tasks:
-I use my shop vac blower to blow our the return lines
-I also use the shop vac to suck water out of the skimmer lines
-I put about 1/2 the recommended amount of anti-freeze in these lines as insurance since I know I don't get all the water out
-When my sprinklers are blown out I ask them to put the compressor on low and I have a adapters that allow me to blow out the main drain until bubbles come out. I then close the valve and disconnect the compressor quickly by putting the multi-port on "Winter"
-Depending on how much rain we get in the fall I sometimes drain a little water out as I don't like the mesh cover sitting in the water whenever it rains (18" per recommendation)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.