Winterizing a non functioning return line

Sep 26, 2020
NH
Hello everyone,
I’m Dee a first time pool owner and hating it. I’m learning as I go but always complicated. I’m trying to close pool on my own since I’m unemployed and can’t afford to have a professional come in.

I have a line next to skimmer which I believe must have been a working return but no longer functioning. I tried blowing it and nothing. How can I clear it? If not working must it be winterized?

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to TFP. I am sorry to hear you are not loving your pool. (hehe on your user name!!).

So this line by the skimmer...........could it be a line to run a pool cleaner? How about this.............take and share a pic of your equipment. We can look it over to help you learn what is what.

We can and will help you learn how to close your pool and how to care for it so it is not as hard or expensive.

Kim:kim:

Hi and welcome to TFP. I am sorry to hear you are not loving your pool. (hehe on your user name!!).

So this line by the skimmer...........could it be a line to run a pool cleaner? How about this.............take and share a pic of your equipment. We can look it over to help you learn what is what.

We can and will help you learn how to close your pool and how to care for it so it is not as hard or expensive.

Kim:kim:

Hi Kim,
Thanks for the reply. I needed a good username and thought that one was suitable.
I tried the line but no return or suction. I’m in the process of closing the pool. I’ve bought a one way plug to drain it, but don’t know about antifreeze. I thought if it was for a vac then I’d needed an extra hole in the skimmer? I will try and attach a pic. Still learning the site.

Attachments

• 45586CCC-6FF9-4235-B9AA-F3E622AD2D06.jpeg
    45586CCC-6FF9-4235-B9AA-F3E622AD2D06.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 10
  • F33852E1-B9DD-430F-83E2-7D7B17B8C67B.jpeg
    F33852E1-B9DD-430F-83E2-7D7B17B8C67B.jpeg
    821.2 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 10
If is for a vac it might have a line of it's own back to the equipment pad. Look at where the skimmer line comes up and see if there is another pipe that could be from this hole. I would what would happen if you "blew' air from the pool towards the pad...........that might show us what it is for.

If is for a vac it might have a line of it's own back to the equipment pad. Look at where the skimmer line comes up and see if there is another pipe that could be from this hole. I would what would happen if you "blew' air from the pool towards the pad...........that might show us what it is for.
I will wait till next year and hope for the best. At the beginning of the summer I tried to attach a vac to that line but nothing happened. I have suctioned the returns along with this one and placed duct plugs there. I put antifreeze in both main drain and skimmer. I hope I put enough. The videos stated 1/2 gallon yet I saw a guy purchasing 35 gallons. He said he rather play it safe, quite a difference in quantity.
I now have to deal with the heater. It was turned on just to see if it was functioning. I guess I have to winterize as well. I will have to figure that out. I’m totally frustrated and my son not very helpful.
Thanks for your help.
Dee

Hey Patbag and Wecome !! What kind of heater is it ? I had a heat pump (electric) and blowing the pipes also cleared the water in the heater. I’m pretty sure that a gas heater is the same, except you need to turn off the gas line to the heater also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.