Winterize Waterfall for Pool Not being closed?

goody222

Silver Supporter
Feb 6, 2018
Chesapeake, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have an inground pool that will remain open all winter. My Hayward Aqua Plus system has automatic freeze protection. I blew out my waterfall line with a shop vac, then isolated it. During a recent rain I'm realizing that rainwater can collect at the top of the waterfall basin and drain back into the vertical pipe. Should I cover the waterfall with plastic or can I leave it lined up to run when the pump turns on for freeze protection? What would you do? Thanks!!!

Is this your first year with the pool? The way freeze-protect works is it looks at the ambient air temp and runs the pump when it is below the threshold. So where you live you might find your pump is always running. If it is cold enough and your waterfall is added into the freeze protect, it will run, water will come out, and I think you will find you are getting large ice forming all around the waterfall. For your climate, I think you are best fully winterizing the pool. Not sure what to do with the waterfall I don't do anything special for mine other than having the lines blown out. If you can reach into the waterfall I would at least cover the pipe with plastic and rubber band it around so it is somewhat water tight.

2nd year with the pool. Was finished last September. The pump doesn't run too often - I'm in Chesapeake and typical highs=50F and low=34F in January. I think I'm going to play it safe and cover the waterfall (can't reach into it).

2nd year with the pool. Was finished last September. The pump doesn't run too often - I'm in Chesapeake and typical highs=50F and low=34F in January. I think I'm going to play it safe and cover the waterfall (can't reach into it).

I also have a fountain that collects quite a bit of rainwater. I use a long grill cover for my fountain...it has a drawstring at the bottom that can be tightened around the fountain so wind doesn't get under the cover. eBay has large grill covers for pretty cheap, and I've also had luck finding a very nice one at Aldi when they were clearing out summer items. Hope this helps!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.