Winterization Idea...Am I Crazy for Thinking This Will Work?

coopgraphic

Nov 28, 2019
Northern Ohio
Water buildup on my winter pool cover has always driven me crazy. Last fall, I inflated about 15, 36" yoga balls and floated them in my pool and put the cover over those. I keep my pool completely full with a skimmer plug so it basically tents the cover. The balls for the most part allowed the cover to shed any rain or snow. I did have some issue where there was a depression that would catch some water and fill up when the yoga balls would shift from snow/ice. So, here's my thought for this year. I have 4 kayaks that need a place to be stored. So I'm thinking I'll float them in the pool and put the yoga balls in the kayaks. This gives a good solid base to keep the yoga balls in place and still give expansion room for freezing. Thoughts?

thanks in advance!

Reactions: Selenap
Any problem with wind whipping the cover? I try and keep my cover dry until the leaves are off the tress, then I let water build up to hold it down. If I get water and leaves on it I have a 2" id hose to siphon with, that works great leaves go right through it. Then I let water build up again.

Any problem with wind whipping the cover? I try and keep my cover dry until the leaves are off the tress, then I let water build up to hold it down. If I get water and leaves on it I have a 2" id hose to siphon with, that works great leaves go right through it. Then I let water build up again.
I use milk jugs filled 3/4 of the way with water and tie them all the way around the cover. This gives it tension but won't pull on the pool itself. Heavy snow will push the cover down but when it thaws, the jugs add enough tension to tighten the cover back up and drain the water off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.