Winter mesh cover year round?

Lynn5707

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
Hello!

We are opening the pool end of April and getting my annual before pool opening anxiety. Our 11 year old grandson lives with us, and we have 11 other grandkids ages 1 yr to 12 years old. We added another fence around the pool last year, and doors to pool locked, and also blocked from outside. I fret every year because the cost of automatic cover is just not in the budget. I have asked about a manual cover and have been told our pool is too big for a manual cover. We did purchase a solar cover last year mainly to keep leaves off pool in spring, but after that took it off as I was more worried safety wise with that cover on.

So to my question - we have a winter mesh cover - I know not easy to do, but does anyone here use their winter cover during the summer for safety? Maybe not all the time, but if going on vacation or something? I wish we could put an automatic cover on.....are there any DIYautomatic covers that we could install?

thanks!

Lynn

someone will be along with an answer, but in the meantime i can validate your fears

We did purchase a solar cover last year mainly to keep leaves off pool in spring, but after that took it off as I was more worried safety wise with that cover on.

My dog tried to use the solar cover as a shortcut and was completely trapped. Had he been trapped upside down he may have drowned by the time I got him out, AND I watched it happen. With an escaped small child you might not realize they left the house for a few minutes. Luckily the dog was stuck with his head high and dry.

the immediate rule that was implemented was ZERO dogs or children in the pool area (mine has its own fence) when the solar cover was on. Once it was removed they could enter the area.

Reactions: Lynn5707
The winter cover is not going to work as it a lot of labor to put on. A good fence and water alarm should work along with constant warnings about pool danger. One of my kids years back did an absolutely unacceptable pool prank and was banned from the entering the pool water for one full week. We made him sit through a weeks worth of poolside fun so he will remember it forever. He was cured for the rest of his life along with his siblings, friends, cousins, as he made sure they knew we mean business. Swimming pool rules aren't meant to be broken nor bent.

Reactions: Lynn5707
Thank you! Since we have fence, will look into water alarms as well. We have been teaching water safety, but I also like your comment about your son sitting out for a week. We also have a kid who is in high school that is a lifeguard that if we have large gatherings will have him here too, and since the younger kids think he’s “cool” I may ask him to give a water safety talk too.

Thank you all!

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.