Winter effects on AutoCover

Apr 6, 2021
Midlothian, VA
Great thread, and in Virginia looking to keep in ground plaster pool open over winter given occasional polar plunges.
Have Hayward Tristar VS pump which has setting to kick on below certain temp. Couple questions if anyone has experience:
-does automatic cover ever freeze (we were advised to open cover in case of significant snowfall
-as long as water level at least 1" over plaster surface (steps at shallow end seem highest), any other concerns (skimmers)?

Thank you

does automatic cover ever freeze
All moving parts are oiled/greased so I'm almost certain it will be fine. The rec to open it comes from the weight of the significant snowfall. The water helps support a good deal of cover weight, but still has its limits. Up by me, we usually have several inches of ice to support the weight even further. You probably won't even be frozen, or only a thin sheet of ice if you get a big snow.

any other concerns (skimmers)?
If the water is moving fast enough, it won't freeze. The colder it gets, the faster it needs to move. It may even freeze mid pool, but the skimmer areas, return areas and all the plumbing in between will be water.

If a cold snap shows up for a short spell, it may not even matter. It takes a few days to cool the ground at the onset of freezing weather. By you it will be over before it starts, more often than not.

Here is our go to thread on the subject
Physics of freezing

Reactions: eastcoastpoolfan
All moving parts are oiled/greased so I'm almost certain it will be fine. The rec to open it comes from the weight of the significant snowfall. The water helps support a good deal of cover weight, but still has its limits. Up by me, we usually have several inches of ice to support the weight even further. You probably won't even be frozen, or only a thin sheet of ice if you get a big snow.

If the water is moving fast enough, it won't freeze. The colder it gets, the faster it needs to move. It may even freeze mid pool, but the skimmer areas, return areas and all the plumbing in between will be water.

If a cold snap shows up for a short spell, it may not even matter. It takes a few days to cool the ground at the onset of freezing weather. By you it will be over before it starts, more often than not.

Here is our go to thread on the subject
Physics of freezing
Thank you, very helpful!

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.