Winter Cover Pillow

Aug 1, 2015
Wheatfield, NY
Had the pool for 25 years. Never had a problem before the past 5 years. Put the cover on in September with a blue pillow. By the end of October it was no more. Took the cover off today and it was deflated, full of water and at the bottom of the pool. The red plug was firmly in place and I saw no evidence of a split in the material.

I believe I posted about this last year as well. I was told I inflated it too much. This time I went light on the air. In the past 5 years or so have they been manufacturing crappy defective pillows? Or am I still doing something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have not used a pillow nor put one in any of my clients for the last five years.

It doesn't hurt anything to skip it. If anything, the only benefit MIGHT be that it allows you to drain water from around it, at best? But when it deflates then that doesn't even work....

I started to notice that when I would get calls to clear icky pools that had never been covered/winterized and/or the cover had fallen in because it wasn't installed properly, that there was ZERO damage to the integrity of the pool. So I stopped using them.:cool:

I have not used a pillow nor put one in any of my clients for the last five years.

It doesn't hurt anything to skip it. If anything, the only benefit MIGHT be that it allows you to drain water from around it, at best? But when it deflates then that doesn't even work....

I started to notice that when I would get calls to clear icky pools that had never been covered/winterized and/or the cover had fallen in because it wasn't installed properly, that there was ZERO damage to the integrity of the pool. So I stopped using them.:cool:
That's the issue. Without the pillow, draining the water off is not as easy.

I have had great success the last 2 winters using river rat float tubes. They're about 4ft in diameter and 2ft tall. They have 2 chambers and a rope that goes around them that makes it easy to tie too. And they seem to be of a fairly heavy grade vinyl.

The previous winter I stacked 2 on top of each other and lashed them together for more height. This last year I only used one and it still worked great.
Like you I've had horrible luck with those blue pillows in the past. Look at Walmart or other stores mid summer when they're clearancing out the pool stuff and look for river rats. I think they were only like $6 or $8 on clearance when I found them.

river rat

Last edited:
I have had great success the last 2 winters using river rat float tubes. They're about 4ft in diameter and 2ft tall. They have 2 chambers and a rope that goes around them that makes it easy to tie too. And they seem to be of a fairly heavy grade vinyl.

The previous winter I stacked 2 on top of each other and lashed them together for more height. This last year I only used one and it still worked great.
Like you I've had horrible luck with those blue pillows in the past. Look at Walmart or other stores mid summer when they're clearancing out the pool stuff and look for river rats. I think they were only like $6 or $8 on clearance when I found them.

river rat
I have several River Rats already. We use them to tube down the river.

I buy a new cover every year and the pillows come with them free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.