Winter Cover for Above Ground Pool in Windy Conditions. Help!

May 25, 2014
Girard, Ohio
We have wind tunnel-like conditions in our backyard! COUNTLESS patio umbrellas and pop-up tents have flown away, without warning. Our winter cover was secured by bungees to the deck rails with water tubes lining around the pool. During a storm, it came loose and flung dirty water in the pool which was awful to deal with at opening.

We have a 15x30 above ground pool. A wooden deck was built around the pool with the top rail above the deck. (I have included a picture). Any ideas on the best way to secure a winter cover??

Attachments

• IMG_20190815_194754.jpg
    IMG_20190815_194754.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 27
You have a lot of options since you have a wooden deck surround. You can try a nut like this and screw them into the wood and then screw in a 5/16 eye or bolt for the cover, and then remove the eye when the pool is open.

The closer the bolts are to the cover, the less chance air and get under and scoop it up.

You can also just try long sandbags and put them around the entire perimeter.

On a different note, we stopped covering our pool due to wind ruining the covers. Haven't covered it for 3 or 4 years now and haven't had a problem. Got tired of spending money on covers! We just keep the filter running a few hours each day in the fall until its time to winterize. Then once the plumbing is disconnected, I'll just keep an eye on it and if we have warm days, I'll just dump in some bleach and stir it around a bit.

Reactions: rocker93
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.