Winter Cover Advice

Jul 7, 2017
NH
We live in New Hampshire, this is the end of our first full year of pool ownership. Last year (we moved in mid-August) I covered it with a tarp, while it was *ok* I had a swamp in the spring, this year I have more time and have started looking in to proper winter covers. Our pool is a 20x40 in ground rectangle with left side offset stairs outside the rectangle. I stopped my a pool supply store who quoted around $1,250 for either a fine mesh that is supposed to block light or a solid cover with a mesh drain in the center to let water through.

I'm curious if people would recommend particular brands or suppliers, I figured there may be better deals to be had online rather than retail maybe? I'm assuming I'll do the install as it's essentially measuring up and hammer drilling the pins in to the concrete apron.

Any advice on things to watch out for, where to buy and what to buy would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Chris.

Solid covers in that size are HEAVY! Get the finest mesh and open before the water reaches 60 and close after it's below 60. That is the key to opening clear.

I have a solid cover on my 18x36 pool. It is very heavy but it keeps 99% of everything out of it. It's a two person job to install and remove it each season but it's nice once its installed for the winter. I have a pump on top of the cover to remove water when it rains. This cover was installed when I purchased the house but I will replace it with the same kind when the time comes.

Check out this thread... Loop loc Mesh vs Solid

I am currently getting online quotes for mesh winter covers. My pool is freeform so it needs to be custom-made. Most quotes so far have been from $1700 to 2200. I have narrowed it down to either the Meyco Lite or Rugged Mesh and the Merlin Smartmesh. I am waiting on the Merlin quote. I plan on installing it myself also.

We have a Latham high shade mesh cover that just replaced our old one, last one was about 16 years old, hadn't failed but as they get to the end of their life the safety covers tend to disintegrate over time and end up in the pool, so we chose to replace a bit early and reduce some vacuuming time.

A nice feature with this new cover is it has a cap I can unscrew to poor chemicals into the deep end, which is handy if the temp gets up before I'm ready to open it. Easily recommend mesh safety covers. They do a great job and are not going to get loose if installed correctly.

We have a Latham high shade mesh cover that just replaced our old one, last one was about 16 years old, hadn't failed but as they get to the end of their life the safety covers tend to disintegrate over time and end up in the pool, so we chose to replace a bit early and reduce some vacuuming time.

A nice feature with this new cover is it has a cap I can unscrew to poor chemicals into the deep end, which is handy if the temp gets up before I'm ready to open it. Easily recommend mesh safety covers. They do a great job and are not going to get loose if installed correctly.

ZcottD, do you get it locally? I'm also in CT and am researching mesh covers right now. Thanks.

Is $1,250 the total cost, which includes labor and the anchors, etc? If so, this is a reasonable price. If you plan on putting the cover on yourself, it is definitely a 2 person job. I personally have a tarp, but have helped out many with your size.

To take off, we start from one end, whereby folding from the deep to shallow. As you fold, then unlatch the next set, fold, and unlatch. Repeat the process. When we get to the end, we lift up on a large tarp in the grass, fold accordingly and put away. Usually dry as it is a mesh cover.

To put on the pool, we attach the first set in the shallow end and roll out halfway and attach to the anchors. Then we roll out to the end and attach. Everything else is attaching to the anchors. This is harder then taking off.

Covers are heavy and there is no easy way, just open early and close late. Keep us posted!

You can put the covers on and take them off solo, it just takes more time. Using rope to start pulling it across the pool for the first clip thingy after you have one side on helps. Just have to be gentle if its a vinyl liner.

To take off, we start from one end, whereby folding from the deep to shallow. As you fold, then unlatch the next set, fold, and unlatch. Repeat the process. When we get to the end, we lift up on a large tarp in the grass, fold accordingly and put away. Usually dry as it is a mesh cover.

Cat, i had not thought about doing it that way. seems it would be quite heavy before the end (20x40 for me) since the pool is usually full when we take the mesh cover off. The way i do it is unlatch all first, then fan fold by pulling from the shallow end. of course it is wet and heavy at the end but i roll it up/bag it to drain. there does not seem to be an easy way. I might give it a shot your way next spring if i can remember! if the cover will stay mostly dry, it might not be too heavy. i can always stop and revert to my way if it doesnt work for me. thanks for the suggestion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pookie:

The cover is folded on top of each other. So you do not unlatch the next set until cover lays on top (if this makes sense). It took 3 years and every year somehow the task becomes easier. The cover never hits the water when being removed. Although, putting it on, unfortunately we have to drag the cover. There really is no easy way unless you can get 8 people to help. Putting it on is a different story as it is more difficult.

I do not have a safety cover, just a tarp. The cover is next years project. Now, I am working on SWG, Chlorinator and Heat Pump. Should be done in one week.

The cover is folded on top of each other. So you do not unlatch the next set until cover lays on top (if this makes sense). ..
I did get that but i had to reread it several times and get out of my mind how i did it before i caught on. my comment about being heavy is because there is so much water in the pool when i open, the cover sags a bit and is wet. but not completely. so your way may work better for me. i have already added a note to my pool opening reminder to try it. thanks again.

OK so got all my quotes and am planning on pulling the trigger on the Meyco Rugged Mesh cover for my pool. These prices include all hardware and shipping. I will do the installation.

Meyco - 2 years limited full, 12 years prorated warranty on all materials
Meycolite
Retail: $2587.20
Your Price $1940.40

Meyco Rugged Mesh
Retail $3317.60
Your Price: $1791.50

Loop Loc Green II Super Dense Mesh
Retail:$3124.00
Your Price $2186.80

Loop Loc Blue, Grey, Tan, Black II Super Dense Mesh
Retail $3388.00
Your Price $2371.60

Loop Loc AquarXtreme Mesh Blue or Green (new this year)
Retail $3942.40
Your Price $2720.26

Merlin SmartMesh (upgraded, light blocking)
Retail $3688.67
Your Price $2766.50

Merlin DuraMesh
Retail $2808.16
Your Price $2106.12

Rayner Safety Mesh 3 year full, 30 year prorated warranty
Retail $2774.26
Your Price $1803.27

Rayner Mighty Mesh (Upgraded light blocking mesh) 5 year full, 30 year prorated warranty
Retail $3335.92
Your Price $2134.99

Arctic Armor Safety Mesh, 2 year full, 12 year prorated warranty
Retail $2195.58
Your Price $1496.73

Arctic Armor SuperMesh (Upgraded Light Blocking Mesh) 2 year full, 20 year prorated warranty
Retail $2646.61
Your Price $1759.48

We live in New Hampshire, this is the end of our first full year of pool ownership. Last year (we moved in mid-August) I covered it with a tarp, while it was *ok* I had a swamp in the spring, this year I have more time and have started looking in to proper winter covers. Our pool is a 20x40 in ground rectangle with left side offset stairs outside the rectangle. I stopped my a pool supply store who quoted around $1,250 for either a fine mesh that is supposed to block light or a solid cover with a mesh drain in the center to let water through.

I'm curious if people would recommend particular brands or suppliers, I figured there may be better deals to be had online rather than retail maybe? I'm assuming I'll do the install as it's essentially measuring up and hammer drilling the pins in to the concrete apron.

Any advice on things to watch out for, where to buy and what to buy would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Chris.

I did not know I had a twin :) I am in the same situation as well. 20x40 in ground pool with no steps. I am thinking of getting mesh cover for this year and install it myself

Question- live in SE Tennessee. No real extreme temps for long stretches of time. Not a lot of trees or other things nearby that would fall into the pool. Don’t really need a safety cover but would like a cover that is tight To keep small animals from getting in and main goal is to keep the sun out. Our pool is a true L and is 20x42 with the L and the stairs to the right. Custom covers are high and without really needing a safety cover I am looking for a better option. Any help is appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.