Wimpy spa jets

Jnet

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Mar 15, 2017
Chicago/Northwest, IL
I have an inground gunite spa that flows into the pool. It has 8 spa jets that are separately plumbed (2" PVC) to two Sta-rite max-e-pro 1.5hp spa pumps. There are two dedicated 2" circuits and each feeds 4 jets.

This is an older pool and we've been in the house for three years. The pumps were replaced in 2018. The spa jet internals were missing and I finally found the correct replacements last year. Problem is, the flow from the jets is really weak. The old pumps were Magnatek 1.5hp. They were both seized and replaced under a home warranty. Is it worth trying a 2hp pump to see if that improves anything? Any other ideas?

It really depends on the impeller hp. You can go with a larger hp motor but you will get the flow rate of the impeller that is installed. The confusing part is whether the Hp on the pumps is full-rated or up rated. Look for the service factor on the motors to find out what they are. Also if there is a model # on the pump itself that could help

I have an inground gunite spa that flows into the pool. It has 8 spa jets that are separately plumbed (2" PVC) to two Sta-rite max-e-pro 1.5hp spa pumps. There are two dedicated 2" circuits and each feeds 4 jets.
With 4 jets per pump, a 1 HP pump should be enough. I run 6 jets off a 1 HP. But do you know what size the jet nozzles are. You can try and remove the nozzles and flush the lines to see if there is any debris. BTW, your signature says that they are 1 HP boosters. Can you post a picture of the pumps and plumbing?

Thanks for the quick replies. SF on the pumps is 1.65 which means they're uprated, I think? I've flushed the returns and they seem clear. Maybe debris in the suction side plumbing? The pump baskets stay full, so it doesn't seem like they're starved. The jets are Hydro Air Microssage HA165230GRY.

Sorry about the signature. That was the old pump model.

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_123909859_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200524_123909859_HDR.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200524_123753485_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200524_123753485_HDR.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for the quick replies. SF on the pumps is 1.65 which means they're uprated, I think?
Actually, full rated. Up rated motors have a lower SF.

I've flushed the returns and they seem clear. Maybe debris in the suction side plumbing? The pump baskets stay full, so it doesn't seem like they're starved. The jets are Hydro Air Microssage HA165230GRY.
So you removed the jets and flushed the lines?

One possibility could be a clogged impeller. But it seems unlikely for both pumps to have the same problem.

Last edited:
I flushed the returns before input in the jet internals and they seemed fine. Nothing but water came out. I'll try pumping out the spa and checking the suction side pipe and test each pump individually. Thanks for your ideas on this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.