Will putting foam board under an Intex pool keep it warmer?

pcorssmit

Sep 30, 2019
Denver
We have a 26’ x 52” Intex pool. When we got it last year, I leveled the dirt fairly close, then added an inch or two of sand to get it nice and flat. I’ve read a lot of posts here about putting foam board underneath the pool, but most of the posts just talk about the feel on your feet. We’re happy with how the sand feels underneath, but curious if the foam board actually helps keep water water warmer. We use a 16 mil solar cover (which makes a huge difference), but anything we can do to help keep the water warm helps. We live in Denver; it gets quite warm during the day in the summer but the air cools quite a bit off at night.

Thanks,

Pete

Welcome to TFP Pete :)

It does help with feet holes like you get with the sand bottom.. Mine has been installed 9 years now and it is still great with no holes or dents in the foam... As far as heat being retained by it I really do not think it will help much more than the ground would, maybe a little bit.. The ground is not what is taking your heat away at night.. It is the cold air dropping the temps in the pool..

A well fitted thick solar cover will help the most to keep the heat the water has in the the pool..

Reactions: kimkats
Thanks for the quick replies. I think I’ll skip the foam and stick with just the sand for now. I’ve got enough pool projects lined up already, like getting a roller for the cover, and hopefully mounting solar panels up on my garage roof (I picked up four used 4 x 10 panels off Craigslist).

Pete

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.