Will it be safe?

Thanks Bama! I will lower my pH more. What would your recommend the TA level get down to? The current level does not seem to be affecting my pH at all so I don't think I need to target on 70 - 90+.

Another question. I keep being told I should shock my pool after such and such, once a week, etc. I have been reading through this site (I take the wise words of wisdom here over most people I talk to) and some people never shock their pool. Right now I maintain a constant FC level over night but it does drop during the day from 6 to around 2 by the time I get home from work. I am currently trying to get my CYA levels up (first tested I had 0 CYA) but that is a slow process, so right now I am trying to maintain my pH and FC levels. I have went through about 2 cases of liquid shock since last Saturday, but I think that is do to not having my CYA levels up.

My recommendation is to leave it where ever your pH is happy. If you're not having to adjust the pH daily I'd just adjust it when needed and it'll slowly come down.

Lots of people on here (myself included) have never shocked their pool. There is no reason to shock your pool unless something has gone wrong. As long as you maintain your FC at or above the minimum recommended level and there are no accidents in your pool you should never have to shock.

If your CYA is low you will lose more FC than you need to. However 3 ppm per day isn't bad.
Can you post a full set of test results?

Test strips are a very large part of your problem. You are guessing at virtually every parameter and you may find your pool differs quite drastically from what the test strips tell you. Just sayin'.... :lol:

I agree, but right now it's all I can use to test my FC and right now it seems to be working well enough to maintain my pool. It remains clear and there are no strong chemical odors coming from it except right after I add chlorine. I am hoping the test strips will get me by on maintaining my FC until I can order a better kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
epxroot said:
The low CYA level + kids swimming + sun would be why I lose so much FC during 9 hours, correct?
That could definitely do it.
Should I raise my FC now and then lower my pH later on tonight?
Yep, add chlorine and wait about an hour, with pump running, and then adjust pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.