Will it be safe?

Thank you very much. I was able to get the neighbors hose so that should cut down about 5 or 6 hours of fill time. I am aiming for 8 to 9 in the morning for the pool to be filled. We will get the pump going add some chlorine and the pump and filter should be able to run for 4 or 5 hours before all the rugrats start to show up!

My pH is still high and I picked up acid to lower it. I also picked up acid to raise my CYA. Should I just add the chlorine, and wait until Sunday to add the pH reducer and conditioner? Or should I add the pH reducer (I was told to place it in the skimmer?) once I have the pump and filter running

Good Lord don't put muriatic acid into your skimmer... fill a bucket with pool water, add acid, and slowly pour it in front of a return.

I'd say add the CYA now, squish the sock so it disperses faster. That you can put into the skimmer (in the sock) or just hang in front of a return or off the ladder. You could swirl a bit if you add it before the pump is started up, it's not as big a deal as the chlorine is to mix up in the water (i.e. no damage will occur) other than needing to be mixed well to work properly. It does take some time to mix and register on tests so starting now will help. Once it's gone from the sock, and the pump is functional you will dose your pool with chlorine for the assumed amount of CYA that you added.
Till then, use 0 or maybe 10ppm CYA in the pool calculator "now" column for your dosing calculations.

No acid or chlorine till you got the pump going though, and 4 hours will be plenty of time. Do you have a TA result? Watch that, as the acid will lower it as well as the pH.

Cyanuric Acid on my hand. Use the same safety precautions you would with laundry detergent: don't eat it, don't snort it, don't feed it to pets, etc...

4a0583ed-33c1-15a7.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I have added 1.5lbs of conditioner to get my cya up.

Right now my readings are

FC 0
pH 8.4
TA 240

Morning after pool party

Also, I tied the sock with the conditioner to the ladder yesterday. I checked it this morning and it was still full, I forgot to squeeze the sock. Just did that and a it started releasing. I also noticed that there were a bunch of little tiny strange worms or something attached to the sock?

You need to address your pH and your chlorine. Your pH desperately needs to be lowered and your chlorine desperately needs to be elevated.....sooner rather than later.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Only problem is, I have to use the test strips at the moment until I get a better kit in the mail. It's the only way I can test my FC. Now my test strips show everything is OK, but the TA on the drop tests appears to be 300 to 320 but my pH is still around 7.8.

Currently

FC 2 - Just added 80oz of Chlorine to get back up to 5
pH 7.8
TA 330 - 350

If the rain holds off for another hour I will use acid to bring my pH down to 7.2 in order to lower my TA. Rain should raise pH correct?

I have went through one case of shock since Saturday morning just trying to maintain 3 - 7 FC level. I added 1.5lbs of conditioner Saturday after I backwashed. I hop by this Saturday I can get some reading for my CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.