Will I see a real benefit increasing pipe size.

Breeze3at

Aug 7, 2019
Middle Georgia
I am assembling parts to convert my 35k gallon I.G. vinyl pool to saltwater. I have a new Circupool RJ 60 SWG and a new Vgreen 1.65 VS pump that I will wire 230V. The pool has 1 skimmer and 1 drain (11/2" ea.), Hayward S210 sand filter, and a Hayward side mount multiport, (1 1/2" pipe from the pump). All pipes above ground are 1 1/2" (I suppose same underground), and my calc. from tables on TFP = 20 ft. of head. I spent hours reading TFP threads about pipe size this morning and am more confused than when I started. Before I buy PVC and fittings, will I see any appreciable benefit in going to 2" pipes from where the skim/drain lines come out of the concrete to the pump? I intend to put a 3-way diverter in front of the wet end of the pump. Will there be any benefit in increasing the return line to 2" between the 1 1/2" multiport return port and the 1 1/2" PVC line going into the concrete (which is the longest run above ground)? I am more interested in equipment efficiency and longevity than electricity costs. The attached photo is the current setup, (skim and drain suction on the left, return in center, waste on right). I have tried to give all the information, I hope it's not to convoluted to understand. Just when I think I have a handle on understanding things, I read something that shows how little I do know. Thank you all in advance for reading this.

Attachments

• IMG_20210401_131807391.jpg
    IMG_20210401_131807391.jpg
    667.3 KB · Views: 8
B,

You won't be able to tell.. In theory there might be some difference, but in actual operation you won't see enough of a difference to measure..

The only value in making everything above ground the same pipe size is ease of plumbing in the new equipment.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.