Will an above-ground pool damage a patio?

bjaspan

Mar 12, 2021
Boston, MA
I have a 12' diameter above-ground pool. The only reasonable place to put it on my property is my patio. I've solved all the other issues (at least the ones I'm aware of), but it occurs to me to wonder: will having a pool on the patio all summer (maybe 8 weeks remaining this year) damage it?

The pool will only be 24" deep. Any reason to be concerned about the actual pressure on the patio? Adult feet generate much higher PSI, though only for a short time.

Will the chemically-treated pool water damage or stain the stone?

The stones under the patio will be cool and wet for about two months. I imagine this will attract a bunch of various critters (ants, etc.) who like it. I guess they might hollow out some real estate under the stones; I've already seen small ant-hill sand piles where I've had other objects on the patio keeping it wet. Might this be a problem?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Barry

The biggest issue is slope. Patios are built to drain water. It is typically not advised to put an above ground pool on a patio as there will be too much slope and the pool will not be level.

Reactions: AK-
Depends....

The pool will only be 24" deep. Any reason to be concerned about the actual pressure on the patio? Adult feet generate much higher PSI, though only for a short time.
This depends more on how the base of your patio was made than the weight of the pool itself. If you base is made of a well compacted thick layer of crushed stone with a thick geotextile between the crushed stone and soil or if it was built over concrete it will be more sturdy than if it was placed directly over bare soil.

Will the chemically-treated pool water damage or stain the stone?
Also depends. What are your patio blocks made of? I believe it is unlikely a well balanced water would cause any damage, after all people use stone on pool IG pool decks. If manufactured stone you may want to contact the manufacturer and ask them about any concern.

Any other thoughts?
Many pools have explicit notices about assembling a pool over solid surfaces. Make sure yours is good for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.