Wildlife and pool ownership....

Jun 23, 2014
Central MN
Let me start by saying that I do live in a rural community a little over an hour from the Twin cities MN, but I am by no means in what I would call the "Woods"

SO today I go out to clean up my pool as I had added a good amount of chlorine yesterday and I had a mess in the bottom to vacuum out and found this...

We get these beetles this time every year and the are a nuisance for about 2 weeks but this was the worst yet. So I start walking around the pool skimming and I see this...

and this

I also notice there is dirt smeared all around my top rail.

I'm 99.9 percent sure it is one of the black bears that has been sighted numerous times over the past few months.

OK I'M freaked out! How do I bear proof my pool! There are plenty of rivers and ponds around! I realize he was thirsty but I can not afford for him to wreck my pool! Don't get me wrong I am thankful there was no damage but I'm nervous about him coming back. We also started taking in our bird feeders in the early spring as a mom and 3 babies destroyed them all 2 years ago.

Oh my! You certainly do have a challenge. Bugs are one thing, bears are another. I'm personally not aware of any specific bear deterrent product. Perhaps put-up a sign that tells bears to wash their feet before going in the pool? :) Sorry, I couldn't resist that one.

I would try to catch the bear on video though to try and obtain more info on the bear's habits. Also notify the nearest Parks & Wildlife authority since having a bear in your area is a concern not only to your pool, but for the safety of those in the area. Perhaps other TFP readers will have some thoughts based on similar experience with wildlife in their area. Good luck!

If you get a pic of a bear floating in your pool you will definitely win the prize for most interesting pool visitor! And I thought snakes were bad! :shock:

Call your county office and ask them for information.

Not sure exactly how your yard is set up, or if you have pets, but would you be able to run an electric fence? It would really just be a strand or two of wire, not a real fence. A couple of zaps and bears would probably stay out. I know I would.

I am glad that I only deal with bugs, snakes, frogs, turtles, and the occasional non-swimming mole. I would have to do something to be sure we were not going to end up outside with the bear.

Wow that is something, a few years ago someone that lives near me had a newly constructed unfenced inground pool (no regulation on it since they are outside the city limits) and had a cow wonder by and go for a swim. That was a big mess from what I hear.

Thank goodness the neighbors keep the cows corralled pretty well!

We are about 4 miles out of town with a neighbor close on each side (.83 acres) and have a large field on the other side of the road and bordering the back yard. I thought even a rope strung along the back with Cans or something to scare it. We will see if the ammonia works and maybe come up with something else over the weekend.

We also see deer often (had a fawn frolicking in the back a few mornings ago.) Turkeys, Coyotes etc...

Wow that is something, a few years ago someone that lives near me had a newly constructed unfenced inground pool (no regulation on it since they are outside the city limits) and had a cow wonder by and go for a swim. That was a big mess from what I hear.

The first year we had our pool we didn't have a fence around it. One night in December, we came home late to find our yearling heifers out. We rounded them up, fixed the fence, and started checking for other damage. I found a single muddy footprint about a foot into the pool on our safety cover. Probably paid for the cover that night.

Call the Game Commission in your area n tell them you have a nuisance bear. What ever you do, do not kill it. In Pennsylvania you can be heavily fined if you kill one out of season and if you do, you better have scratch and/or bite marks on you. They are very protected out of season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.