Wifi or connected low voltage transformer suggestions

zam

Sep 9, 2018
Washington/DC
Anybody have a suggestion to replace the low voltage hard wired transformer I have for my in pool led lights? I have found some but most have an electrical plug, also does the transformer need additional safety measures since the lights are in the pool? Thanks

Zam,

Pool light transformers are different that standard step-down transformers.. They are made specifically so that if they go bad and short out, that the 120 volts on the primary side can not flow into the pool. It would be foolish to compromise safety to save a few bucks..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Zam,

Pool light transformers are different that standard step-down transformers.. They are made specifically so that if they go bad and short out, that the 120 volts on the primary side can not flow into the pool. It would be foolish to compromise safety to save a few bucks..

Thanks,

Jim R.

thanks Jim I’m not trying to save money per say I am just looking for a transformer which I can control remotely without full pool automation . 100W would suffice I only have 2 lights

You're over thinking it. All you need to do is to provide a way to control power to the transformer that you already have. I would add a relay that provided power to the transformer you currently. Something like this Amazon.com : SHELLY 1 One Relay Switch Wireless WiFi Home Automation iOS Android Application 1 Pack : Camera & Photo

Pick a relay with app based remote control and pay attention so it has isolation between the relay switch contacts and the power to the relay itself so it can be used on the secondary side of a transformer if need be (this one does that).

Note I've never used this relay, its just an example. But something like this would let you control power to the transformer and that is all i would need. I would link the relay to Amazon alexa and use my voice or my cell to to turn on or off the lights.

I use a home automation system with relays for all kinds of controls and this is an excellent use case for home automation. Its a slippery slope, once you do the pool lights then maybe it's time for other lights, dimmers and soon you got it all automated? I'm definitely on that slope over the past few years.

Good luck!

Last edited:
You're over thinking it. All you need to do is to provide a way to control power to the transformer that you already have. I would add a relay that provided power to the transformer you currently. Something like this Amazon.com : SHELLY 1 One Relay Switch Wireless WiFi Home Automation iOS Android Application 1 Pack : Camera & Photo

Pick a relay with app based remote control and pay attention so it has isolation between the relay switch contacts and the power to the relay itself so it can be used on the secondary side of a transformer if need be (this one does that).

Note I've never used this relay, its just an example. But something like this would let you control power to the transformer and that is all i would need. I would link the relay to Amazon alexa and use my voice or my cell to to turn on or off the lights.

I use a home automation system with relays for all kinds of controls and this is an excellent use case for home automation. Its a slippery slope, once you do the pool lights then maybe it's time for other lights, dimmers and soon you got it all automated? I'm definitely on that slope over the past few years.

Good luck!

thanks for the suggestion and I’ll look into it. I already have home automation using zwave and a similar relay for the fireplace

Good luck!

this is a zwave relay
ENERWAVE Z-Wave Plus Relay, Hidden Smart Switch Wireless Remote Control to Lights and Ceiling Fans, 120-277VAC, 10A, Neutral Wire Required, ZWN-RSM1-PLUS, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G7OD1F8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_d8kFFbP9BGG9A

this is a zwave outdoor switch

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.