WiFi Heater Control

KerryM

Dec 27, 2023
Oak Island, NC
We have a small SWG pool at a rental property and I'm struggling to control the heater remotely. I have a Rheem heater, a Hayward Pro Logic/Goldline AquaPlus panel, and a Aqua Connect Home Network box & antenna. The problem is that the WiFi-enabled controller only sort-of works, sometimes.
I don't think it's a WiFi issue because even when it's working correctly I can never control the heater settings. On its best days it will let me turn the pump or lights on/off. But most of the time my remote readout says: Base Station Not Responding. I don't know if this is an old system, a buggy system, or if it was set up incorrectly.
I'm concerned it was set up wrong because, on the physical panel, the Aux 1 button controls power to the heater -- not the heater button. Is this a normal setup for this system? Any suggestions? I'm open to replacing this system entirely if someone can recommend a better option.
IMG_2783 Small.jpeg

Welcome to TFP.

What specific model Rheem heater do you have? They have many models.

Post a better picture of your panel wiring where all the labels are readable.

Thanks for your reply. We have a P-M266A-EP-X (photo of console) and it actually says "Raypack Partners System, A Rheem Company" on the paperwork. For the panel, these are the only photos I have at the moment because I'm not in town currently -- can you advise on how to better capture the wiring in question?

Attachments

• IMG_2804 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_2804 Medium.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2782 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_2782 Medium.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2784 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_2784 Medium.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 6
The plastic unit on the top of the metal box in the second pic is the antenna and must be installed on the outside of the metal box and could be why your wireless system is not working properly. There should be a punch out on the upper left of the metal box where you can install the antenna.

I wondered about that, but it's not a real punch out -- just an embossed circle with no perforation. I saw a YouTube video where some guy took a drill to it, but it seems unwise to spray metal shards into the electrical box so I hesitate to do it that way. Plus the antenna seems to work, even inside the box, because I can see the temp and the settings remotely -- I just can't make any adjustments.
I guess I'm just not sure if this Hayward AquaConnect system has potential to ever work. If it doesn't, I'd rather just replace it now with something reliable. Do you have recommendations for a more robust WiFi-enabled system that would work with this set up?

The manual for your heater is at https://cdn.globalimageserver.com/FetchDocument.aspx?ID=0043BC65-BBC1-44BD-B15F-2EF8FD2632AE

Pages 30 & 31 describe the options for remote control of your heater. None of that says to connect the heater power to an aux relay. You need to figure out how your heater is wired compared to what the manual recommends.

If you cannot get your wireless to work reliably after you relocate your antenna out of the metal cabinet then consider upgrading to the OmniPL system that has networking builtin.

But most of the time my remote readout says: Base Station Not Responding. I don't know if this is an old system, a buggy system, or if it was set up incorrectly.
This is an indication of poor radio coverage. Install the antenna on the outside of the metal box and it should work better. That punch out should still come out with a hammer and screwdriver even though you may not be able to see the edges.

I'm concerned it was set up wrong because, on the physical panel, the Aux 1 button controls power to the heater -- not the heater button. Is this a normal setup for this system? Any suggestions? I'm open to replacing this system entirely if someone can recommend a better option.
The issue with the heater could be a configuration problem.

My heater is installed via a relay as well. If powered all the time, the heater combustion blower runs when the pump shuts off. Some heaters are just designed this way for safety reasons. In order to make this work properly, you need to set up that AUX relay to not only turn on the heater power but also to set the heater mode into "Auto" via a group mode. This would be the same as pressing both the heater AUX button AND the heater enable button.

Have you tried turning on the heater (both buttons enabled) at the main control unit?