Wife is freaking out. Storm run off

Gibby13

Jul 12, 2019
Elgin, SC
So we had a big storm come through and dump 3" of rain in under and hour. Long story short, flooded pool deck from storm with sandy water.

Longer story, I need bigger gutters because it overwhelmed the gutters and downspouts so started going over and landing behind the 2nd retaining wall, which then overwhelmed the French drain and flooded the pool deck with rainwater mixed with sand.

Twins are supposed to behaving a small pool party for their 5th birthday today.

I have been running the vacuum and pump almost none stop and put some skimmer socks on.

Thoughts? I know not to use FLOC but what about Clarifier?

IMG_20200724_164708.jpg

IMG_20200724_165619.jpg

IMG_20200724_182330.jpg

Crank up your pump speed so you get more water turnover.

Watch your filter pressure and clean your filter as needed.

Clarifier isn't going to be a miracle cure. Your water just needs lots of filtering.

I would get your FC into the 10-15 level. Still safe to swim.

You could also vacuum to pick up any sediment on bottom but need to put it to waste so you don't overwhelm your filter.

Pump pressure was around 8 or 9 PSI last night when I bumped the RPM's up to 2700.

Also, turned on super chlorinate and added 1 bottle of bleach, should be around 9 FC. I'll check after I have had my coffee.

check your CYA and salt level with all the dilution.

I guess you could get a submersible pump

hook up a garden hose to it and stick a filter on the end of the garden hose used to get the water back into the pool.

total cost ~$60 give or take. Will take a while though but might work okay once the sand settles just move the pump around to suck it up.

Beautiful set up, sorry mother nature hit you so hard. We had the same thing happen in Melbourne, FL.

Looks like everyone here has you covered on how to clean up.

Here's what I did after it happened to us, maybe this will help in the future.
1) I cut the tops off my channel drains. Now they are wide open and I can keep them clear. Here's a pic cd.jpeg
2) I dug out my channel drain discharges to the yard. Mine were below grade. I put catch basins under each one and piped them into my french drains.
3) I upgraded my french drains with 1/2 hp liberty pumps
Here's a vid of the work in progress. Those trenches are 18in wide x18in deep.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.