Wierd Goo on intake system (6 month old Vinyl pool)

ThePoolSmith

In The Industry
Aug 18, 2020
SD County
Hey People, got a strange one for you. I have a white, really sticky goo forming on the intake system of a new vinyl pool. The cleaner is plugged into the skimmer, so the goo is forming on the first link of skimmer hose, the skimmer basket, the pump basket, and even found some in the filter. I have tried to clean it with dawn, soak it, scrub it, etc. no luck. Has anyone ever seen this before? I service 60 pools, this is my only vinyl pool, and the only place I have ever seen this before. (Salt pool). I have a major issue brewing, pool manufacturer is trying to blame me, saying im not allowed to use chlorine in this pool. Salt cell failed, so I had to put some chlorine in for a few weeks, but this goo has been forming for months. Please see pics.

Attachments

• 20200806_090953.jpg
    20200806_090953.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 37
  • rickards basket.jpg
    rickards basket.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 36
No clue, but I'll set you up for the morning. I think you'll get asked:
- What chemicals were added to the pool at start up (sequestrants? clarifiers? etc)
- It sounds like there is an SWG involved, yes? Does the manufacturer sanction the use of an SWG?
- What does the manufacturer mean by "not allowed to use chlorine"? What are you supposed to use? An alternate sanitizer?
- What exactly did you use for the chlorine you added? Was it plain bleach (which would be fine)? Did it have any additives (which would be bad). Or did you use "pool" chlorine from a pool or big-box store?

Clorox and others make "splash-less" varieties that have gooey additives. It could be that.

- Do the owners have kids? Could they have added something gooey? Kids are sticky. (Fact.) Have you questioned the owners about this? Any sort of suntan lotion disaster?

If all you did was pour in non-additive-havin' bleach, or chlorine made for a pool, then I don't see how you'd be liable. Surely the manufacturer is not selling pools that are "allergic" to chlorine!

Only other thing I can think of is some foreign substance is releasing from the vinyl. Introduced to the vinyl before, during or after the manufacturing process.

Others here will have better ideas tomorrow...

Edit: just looked at your pics. Yep, that's disgusting alright...

Can you read this and add your signature, as if this was your pool? You can take that down later. Can you post some test results? Both will be helpful to our experts.

Last edited:
looks like they poured some concoction into the pool probably to "clear it up"... why can you not add chlorine to a SWG pool that is chlorine??? hmmm

No clue, but I'll set you up for the morning. I think you'll get asked:
- What chemicals were added to the pool at start up (sequestrants? clarifiers? etc)
- It sounds like there is an SWG involved, yes? Does the manufacturer sanction the use of an SWG?
- What does the manufacturer mean by "not allowed to use chlorine"? What are you supposed to use? An alternate sanitizer?
- What exactly did you use for the chlorine you added? Was it plain bleach (which would be fine)? Did it have any additives (which would be bad). Or did you use "pool" chlorine from a pool or big-box store?

Clorox and others make "splash-less" varieties that have gooey additives. It could be that.

- Do the owners have kids? Could they have added something gooey? Kids are sticky. (Fact.) Have you questioned the owners about this? Any sort of suntan lotion disaster?

If all you did was pour in non-additive-havin' bleach, or chlorine made for a pool, then I don't see how you'd be liable. Surely the manufacturer is not selling pools that are "allergic" to chlorine!

Only other thing I can think of is some foreign substance is releasing from the vinyl. Introduced to the vinyl before, during or after the manufacturing process.

Others here will have better ideas tomorrow...

Edit: just looked at your pics. Yep, that's disgusting alright...

Can you read this and add your signature, as if this was your pool? You can take that down later. Can you post some test results? Both will be helpful to our experts.

I took over cleaning thes pool about a month ago, so I can't confirm what was used before. Since I've been onsite we have only had to add a few splashes of chlorine as the salt cell has not been able to keep up with demand this summer.

Yes, manufactuer of vinyl liner also built the pool and sanctions SWG

I was told i'm not allowed to use "man made chlorine" as its too harsh. My BS alarm was going off everytime this guy opened his mouth. Same pool company installed a weak pump that had to be warranty replaced with a pentaire within a month of the pool being used.

Yes, my gut feeling is the vinyl lining is faulty and leaching something into the water that is collecting on the cleaner hose, skimmer basket and pump basket.

Im using 12.5% regular chlorine from pool store that I use on 59 other pools with no issues.

looks like they poured some concoction into the pool probably to "clear it up"... why can you not add chlorine to a SWG pool that is chlorine??? hmmm

Yup, as soon as a pool manufacturer rep says your not allowed to put chlorine in a pool that generates chlorine something is wrong. There are multiple things wrong with this pool, this goo on the intake system is just the tip of the ice berg.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.