Widening Spa Wall/Spillway Depth to Achieve Reverse Negative Edge Spillway

Msas1

Aug 28, 2019
North Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hello,

I have been visiting this amazing forum ever since we got a pool with our house about 5 years ago. Very helpful, and because of this forum we now take care of our pool ourselves.

We are currently in the process of finalizing the remodel requirements for our 90's built pool. We do think it was retiled and resurfaced with conventional white plaster around 10 years ago, but we do not know for sure.We are going to retile, resurface and redo coping with the pool company. Also redo the concrete decking.

We are going to level the spillway of our spa which currently has two notched spillways. We are debating whether to just level out the entire spillway as is and retile. Or, as the PB suggested to achieve the reverse negative edged spa, we should widen the 6" spillway to 12". Wondering whether bonding new concrete to old concrete to widen the spa wall can cause problems in the longterm. Whether it is asking for more trouble in the long run, just for the sake of aesthetics to widen the spa wall, or just level it out and call it a day.

Attachments

• IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1222.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 51
I imagine they would widen it by demo the entire spa wall and reform with steel and concrete. They may also pin the existing wall with rebar and add onto it. Ask the builder how they plan on accomplishing it.
Will be done by widening the existing spa wall, I assume using hydraulic cement and rebar pinning onto the existing wall. As we finalize and get further into the process will know more hopefully.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.