Why Would PH Down Do This........

Dec 11, 2017
Pa
I'll try to make this quick. Last year we ran out of chlorine before closing and kind of let the pool go knowing we'd have a little work to do this year once we opened. And we did. But nothing too bad. Just LOTS of leaves. However we noticed new stains on the liner once we opened and cleaned it up. We tried adding and holding the chlorine at SLAM levels thinking the stains are/were just organic but that didn't seem to lighten them much if at all. And it's been a b*tch finding pucks to try placing one of those on a stain to see if that comes up. I also haven't had any vitamin C to try.

Fast forward to yesterday, all my levels were good but the PH got high since opening, around 8, and so I used some PH Down and it came back down to 7.4 (it's usually around 7.6 all season). Everything else tested good too. But this time around I did not add it via sock in front of the return like I usually do and so I just broadcasted it around the pool (since it wasn't much that I used). Well I noticed hours later when I went back out that there seemed to be a clearing in the areas I tossed the powder. The stains were gone. I tried taking a pic but it didn't show so well on photo like it does when looking with the naked eye so I had to alter it some in order for you to see what I mean. I will include a pic as is and the altered one.

But yeah, why would PH Down take some of the stains away? And if that was true then is it safe to say my stains are........what? And how should I go about treating them? Thanks!

My levels just for reference:

Chlorine - 12 (I over dosed it some cause I'll be away for a few days)
PH - 7.4
TA - 90
CH - 160
CYA - 50

Attachments

• 20210728_184758.jpg
    20210728_184758.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 22
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
But this time around I did not add it via sock in front of the return like I usually do
Dry acid should be dissolved in a bucket of water and powered slowly in front of a pool return. What you describe above is for CYA/stabilizer.
Well I noticed hours later when I went back out that there seemed to be a clearing in the areas I tossed the powder. The stains were gone.
So the dry acid settled to the floor and the stain are gone or have changed color? Copper stains are effected by dry acid. I am not able to see the spots on your pictures.

Yes, we have NOT used that ionizer for years (as recommend here)!! Not sure why the photo isn't showing. I see them there. I am thinking iron too since we do use well water. Just was strange that it seemed to happen this year once there were lots of leaves left in it over the Winter. Don't know why but it was new/strange to me that PH Down would do that. Never thought about it. Wish I could find some dang pucks to test the stain. Also need to get some vitamin C to be sure. Guess I could just use the PH Down in a sock on the stain too to see for sure while I'm paying attention?

Last edited:
Ok so I sent my granddaughter out to the bottom of the pool with a packet of Emergen-C and she was able to keep it closed until she got to the bottom and as soon as she opened the pack, the stains disappeared!! So, Iron/metal stains then? What is the best product(s) and process of taking care of this? I believe I read to use Jack's Magic The Vinyl Liner Blue Stuff followed by the CuLator in the filter basket? Is that right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Probably iron and maybe some copper.

Ascorbic acid will remove the iron, but it might make the copper better or worse.

Sulfamic acid can clear copper and probably iron but it will lock up the chlorine for months as CC.
I really don't think it's copper as we haven't had anything similar to what the article suggest as far as blonde hair turning green, emerald color water, etc. That never happens.

I do think it's iron as we often have to clean our filter down in the basement due to the well water and it's always filled with iron. Anyway, I think I'm gonna wait until right before the end of the season before taking care of the problem. I'll probably start like 2-3 weeks before closing so that I can wait the recommended time of two weeks before slamming and raising the PH. Then I can get it all back up to level and cleaned up before closing. Thanks so much!!!

Ascorbic acid treatment. Culator thing is mostly miss with only a few people saying it worked.

Reactions: SummerTimeGirl
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.