Why won't this stuff Die?!

Being a bit harsh, your algae and your pool are no different than anyone else's algae and pool. I am sorry that what works for thousands of pools across the country does not work for yours. Everyone is free to manage their pools as they see fit and we actually encourage folks to learn what works and do just that.

Let us know if you find a combination that works for you.

Believe me, I'm at a loss. I even had someone double check my readings by doing it themselves because I know I'm not a pool expert, or a chemistry guru which is why I'm here asking the questions and simple stating what my results are. I understand it should work and I am trying each of the recommendations as they come. Someone suggested bring it to shock level for a few days then bring it to mustard shock level. That's what I did, I then dropped it down back to shock level. I ran my filter 24x7 for the entire process and am still running it almost 24 hours. I give it a break at night. My next step if I don't find anything that works by the end of the season, I'll do a complete teardown of the filter and clean it again. I did it at the beginning of the season when I changed the sand but maybe I missed something.

- - - Updated - - -

if it's alive then chlorine should kill it. If it doesn't kill then something must be preventing it from doing its job. At this point I'd drain/refill to 'reset' my situation to standard: you don't want to fight this moving forward.

Yeah, I'm worn out from fighting this as it is. I've been trying things since the end of last season. My wallet is tired of fighting it as well. My only fear of the drain/refill option is that it doesn't work and I pay for 27,000 gallons of water and all new chemicals to get it balanced and it starts back up again.

Believe me, I'm at a loss. I even had someone double check my readings by doing it themselves because I know I'm not a pool expert, or a chemistry guru which is why I'm here asking the questions and simple stating what my results are. I understand it should work and I am trying each of the recommendations as they come. Someone suggested bring it to shock level for a few days then bring it to mustard shock level. That's what I did, I then dropped it down back to shock level. I ran my filter 24x7 for the entire process and am still running it almost 24 hours. I give it a break at night. My next step if I don't find anything that works by the end of the season, I'll do a complete teardown of the filter and clean it again. I did it at the beginning of the season when I changed the sand but maybe I missed something.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I'm worn out from fighting this as it is. I've been trying things since the end of last season. My wallet is tired of fighting it as well. My only fear of the drain/refill option is that it doesn't work and I pay for 27,000 gallons of water and all new chemicals to get it balanced and it starts back up again.

it won't come back- just don't add any extras besides chlorine/CYA/MA/soda ash (depending on pH adjustment direction), you know the drill :). Algae readily dies at much lower FC levels if you have only those. Figuring out why this model is not working for your pool water now is getting progressively more difficult and frustrating. You're supposed to enjoy it after all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.