***Why TFP was down today and what you need to know***

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband (who is a web programmer and development manager for a large internet company) has a reseller account and can offer some pretty great hosting services at ridiculously cheap prices. I'll try to get details from him to pass it along, but he does his own personal accounts along with the accounts of several businesses.

He also is a certified ColdFusion developer, as well as experienced with PHP, various SQL flavors, Apache, Linux, Unix, Solaris, DNS, and basically anything you name on the intarwebs. ;) If you keep having issues and want to go to a more reliable provider, he's your man.

--- Edited to add more info... sorry for the continuous editing, I'm updating this as he gives me info (he's at work) ---

Wow it's going down a lot now :/ Anyway, here's some prelim info from my DH:

The general details are, cpanel access, unlimited emails, unlimited ftp accounts, unlimited subdomains, unlimited mySQL databases, phpmyadmin, unlimited email, unlimited parked domains, PHP4 and 5, perl, cgi, several free applications such as blogs, wikies, shopping carts, calendars, site statistics, webmail, hit counters, etc.

He said usually his hosting prices depend on bandwidth, but since he knows that this is one of my favorite sites now, unless you're using more than 150gb/month in bandwidth he could cover you for free! And he could have you set up in no time. He figures it wouldn't take very long to switch over... an hour or so if he had access to both cPanels, 2 hours if you include DNS switchover. (He has plenty of experience with phpBB... he administered, moderated and coded tons of stuff for a forum we frequented for the past 5+ years)

Alternately he recommends going directly through Surpass hosting, which is where he gets his hosting from, they have great service and good accounts - http://surpasshosting.com/hosting-shared-solutions.php

No matter what happens, make sure you keep backups of the databases and files -- hosts have nasty ways of deleting that stuff the second you mention the word cancel and I would hate to see this board disappear! :((((

I've seen too many forums disappear due to disappointing hosting services, so if there's anything we can do to help, feel free to contact me and DH at my email, [email protected]. Whether you want any further info or if there's any help/advice. Anything we can do to keep TFP up and running happily! I gladly donate my husband's professional services to the cause! :)

JasonLion said:
We are back from the second outage now. I believe that everything is now fixed. There should not be any further problems. Hopefully Sean will be along soon to give the official word.
And thanks for everyone working on it!

Sean, hope you get to cool off and go jump in your pool!

I should be upgrading my membership shortly.

Thank you!

I thought I read over on poolforum during the outage that you bit the bullet and switched over to a dedicated server. Is that true?

It sounds to me like Sean is saying the issue is CPU usage related, and not bandwidth usage. I know there was a lot of custom coding done to get the new site up and running, perhaps there is a bug in that new code somewhere. Maybe in the new 'view new posts' feature that sorts into categories? Just a thought.

JasonLion said:
We are back from the second outage now. I believe that everything is now fixed. There should not be any further problems. Hopefully Sean will be along soon to give the official word.

I still do not have full access myself. I'm having to do some cutting and pasting to be able to reply here. My own internet service provider is very slow about updating dns, so it may be tomorrow before I am back to normal.

I'll try and address the past couple of posts in this one reply.

Yes, we have moved to a dedicated server. This was done out of necessity. We were on a shared server with over 400 other sites. Normally that's not a big deal as many sites are just static html and use very little resources. Busy forums are another story. To give you an idea of why the site was taken down, we were spiking "well above" 25% of the load on that server. I don't imagine the other 400 sites were very happy with us. :?

Lotus, thanks to you and your husband for the offer! With our own dedicated server, I now have all the same features you referred too - plenty of processing power,1500gb bandwidth, full suite of software, etc. In fact, if I chose to do so, I could act as a reseller and put other sites on our new server, but have no intentions of doing so.

Some users may see some unusual behavior over the next couple of days as everything gets sorted out. If you run into a glitch, try clearing your cookies and see if that helps. After about two days, we should have all of this completely behind us and the site should be running faster than ever!

Thanks,
Sean

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all of the efforts Sean!

I am a new member who found the help during my baquagoo conversion priceless. So, I paid for a lifetime membership just prior to the site conversion to help defray the cost and I really recommend everyone else do so as well. The cost of membership is less than the cost of a good test kit and this site provides you with information as invaluable as your current FC level. Or more importantly, what to do when the FC level is 0 and won't come back up!! Dedicated server web hosting is more costly than shared servers. If we (meaning everyone who uses this site to lurk for answers, posts occcasionally, or posts frequently) don't bear this expense, who will? I for one don't expect Sean to.

Sean, if you need more money ask. I'm here to continue helping!

Sean,

I just want to thank you again for your help while PoolForum was down and we, the mods at PF, are delighted to see TFP back up and running, as we are. There are only two places I know where a pool owner can go and get good, sound advice without somebody pushing "pH-Up" or "3-Way Tabs" or, worst of all (IMHO) "N*****2".

Pool care is easy, really easy. All it takes is some simple knowledge, easily gotten, and consistency. And now we all know it's not even very expensive.

If you don't want to get "Pool-Stored", you go with B-B-B!

CarlD

CarlD said:
Sean,

I just want to thank you again for your help while PoolForum was down and we, the mods at PF, are delighted to see TFP back up and running, as we are. There are only two places I know where a pool owner can go and get good, sound advice without somebody pushing "pH-Up" or "3-Way Tabs" or, worst of all (IMHO) "N*****2".

Pool care is easy, really easy. All it takes is some simple knowledge, easily gotten, and consistency. And now we all know it's not even very expensive.

If you don't want to get "Pool-Stored", you go with B-B-B!

CarlD

Carl, regardless of what forum it is, you've saved us a lot, thank you, I've read a lot of your posts on poolforum.com; glad to see you here and I appreciate your advice.

and to everyone else who reads this, help the cause! cheaper than a visit to the ool store :)

Thanks!

Nick said:
Hi Sean

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you recently experienced with Gator although I must say it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
They are renowned for pulling the "excessive usage" stunt to get sites to 'upgrade' to a dedicated server when it was never really necessary.

No matter how hard you press them they will not tell you what your usage spike was, they don't tell you how long it was for or even how they have measured it.
Quite right. They did that to me several times. I finally had it with them notifying me AFTER the fact, or worse, my having to chase them down and find out myself why my site was down.

There are many reputable hosts out there.
Yes, there are. My site is quite large and has a great deal of traffic and is now hosted by RadioTower.net. Wonderful customer service. I have no down time that I do not know about in advance (like upgrading, etc.).

Honestly, I would not recommend Hostgator to anyone.

At any rate, I am glad that this forum is back, since we've just purchased a saltwater generator........I came here to check some information during that time, and found it down, and went to PF and found it down.........! Very funny (not! LOL) that we just bought a new system, had some questions, and could not access EITHER site! :p

Thanks for all the advice, but for the time being we are good. I may look into other options during the winter but am not going to make any more dramatic changes during our peak season. I've had quite enough excitement the past couple of weeks.

Despite the recent mismagagement, we did have over 1 year of 100% uptime. Say what you will, but that ain't bad. They actually did provide me with the numbers and we were causing problems with the shared server. The way they handled it wasnt' good, but based on my reading, that's not all that uncommon. It seems like everyone always recommends their current host. :lol:

Sean

PS - nice site VE, how long have you been running?

"It seems like everyone always recommends their current host."

I'll go against that trend. One of my sites is hosted on dot5hosting. I definitely wouldn't recommend them. Their mysql database slowed to a crawl (a php3bb page would take 10+ minutes to load), and the best their customer service department could tell me is that they needed to upgrade hardware, there was nothing that could be done to fix it in the short term, but that it should be resolved eventually, probably in the next few months...

Another site of mine is hosted on register.com, and they're better than dot5hosting.

By the way, how do you quote text now? The tags I usually use aren't working.

Matt - You have "Disable BBCode" checked in your recent post, so things like quotes are disabled by default. You have BBCode turned on in your profile, so either there is a bug or you turned it off for that post.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.